• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New snowbiker from BC

T
Jan 26, 2019
Pemberton BC
New snowbiker from BC here. Just got my snowbike together mid way through last season.
I have ridden and raced dirt bikes my entire life. I am also a diehard 2 stroke fan and a lover of old big bore 2 strokes. I always said the day I get a snowbike it has to be a cr or kx500. Well I picked up a 91 kx500 rebuilt the motor and away we go. Couldn't be a better purpose for a 2 stroke 500, suddenly the power is needed and not scary. Suddenly you are looking at squeezing out more horses instead of detuning.
My snow background goes to a life time of skiing in the mountains of the world. I have worked the last 25yrs in the ski and snowboard movie industry as well as being a heli ski guide. My sled experience comes from back in the early days of sled skiing/ snowboarding. Got my first sled in 95 and rode alot mostly for skiing until around 2005. Since then family life and a busy winter season heli skiing has kept me from getting out in the mountains much on a sled. Still have the 02 summit 700 kicking around but would maybe get out a half dozen days a year, mostly taking my son sled skiing.
I was always interested in snowbikes but the cost was high and it seemed the tech wasn't there yet. Then 2yrs ago was a game changer for me. I was out sled skiing with my son in the pemby area and we had seen snowbike tracks on the way in. We were then chilling in the the Alpine when we heard a snowbike on the ridge above. He proceeded to sidehill a km across a 35 degree Alpine slope above tree chutes to close out forest (from a sledders perspective). Now he stops and I think now he's fd how's he going to turn around. He proceeds to rip down the face into the tree chute with carves I could not distinguish from a snowboarder. Into the tree chute he hits 2 or 3 10-15ft pillows while fluidly ripping his line. My son who was 12 at the time and I look at each other and said "There's the future"
Than early last winter I was up sled skiing again with my son just above my house and a couple of buddies of mine showed up on snowbikes. I took them for a spin and a week later while I was up at work I found myself a kx500 on Craigslist and I found a good deal on a new Mototrax kit locally. The rest is history.
To me snowbiking is a huge new passion I have not had in awhile. It takes my 2 favorite sports skiing and dirt biking and combines them into one perfect sport. I can go pretty much anywhere I can go on skis and the fun doesn't end until you hit the kill switch. Could even be better than heli skiing......
Maybe if we slung in the bikes to skip the access roads, than it would be truly better ?

Premium Features