• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

new sled

I
Dec 3, 2011
Rapid City SD
I NEED SOME HELP AND YOU GUY ARE MOUNTAIN SLED GUYS SO HERE GOES. IM GOING TO LOOK AT A 2010 CAT M-8 153" DONT KNOW WHAT MODEL. IF IT IS A STANDARD IT WONT HAVE TELESCOPING STEERING CORRECT? HOW DO U TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN AN SNOW PRO AND A HCR? IM COMING OFF A 2 UP SO I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MOUNTAIN SLEDS. IT HAS 1100 MILES.THEY ARE ASKING $6500. ANY THOUGHT OR SUGGESTIONS OR WHAT TO LOOK FOR WOULD BE APPRECIATED . THANKS

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
I think the 2010 has a recall for bearing in the diamond drive 5203 for a 6203. The 800 laydown is a great motor no issues and 1100 is just broke in.
I would tip on side to see underside for damage and to see if the track has any tears. Price seems fair but I do know how many mountain sleds get sold in NJ. Also if that sled has been on a groomed trails the lugs can get bent back and forth and will start to break off I would check them for sure. A 100 miles of trail riding can damage those 2.5 lugs. HCR has a stiffer compound track then the standard, also stiffer suspension. Snopro usually means it has air shocks on the front standard will have coil over.

Last edited:

moonshiner

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Yankton, SD
Hey, I just bought a 2010 M8 standard, ended up with about the same amount invested after getting a new bearing in the diamond drive. I put a telescoping post in mine this weekend and it was pretty easy. I found the kit on ebay for $110 shipped. First real trip is this weekend in the Hills so hopefully it performs well! If I could do it over I think I would have gone with a sno pro as I have seen some for around $7000, of course I did not see those until after I bought mine!

starrsleds

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2008
i luv my 2010 m8 i have about 2700 miles on(all but 600 miles put on in the hills). only problem is broke the spyder in the primary. which seem s to be a huge poblem with these machines. search the mseries fourm on this site. bout a $1500 fix for mine but cases vary. absolutey amazing sled do ride and thro around.

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
url

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
I think the 2010 has a recall for bearing in the diamond drive 5203 for a 6203. The 800 laydown is a great motor no issues and 1100 is just broke in.
I would tip on side to see underside for damage and to see if the track has any tears. Price seems fair but I do know how many mountain sleds get sold in NJ. Also if that sled has been on a groomed trails the lugs can get bent back and forth and will start to break off I would check them for sure. A 100 miles of trail riding can damage those 2.5 lugs. HCR has a stiffer compound track then the standard, also stiffer suspension. Snopro usually means it has air shocks on the front standard will have coil over.

Most of the miles on my sled this year are from the 25 mile drive down the highway in the horns from bear to high country, then 25 miles of pow then 25 back. You don't need to worry about the track on trails. The track is only a 2.25 btw. Sno pro was orange and white, hcr green with telescoping post, coil overs on fronts with titanium springs, wider front suspension, same skid but titanium spring on front shock and different valving i believe. Standard is green with coil over skid and front shocks with green springs on the shocks. No adjustable post and standard gauge.

i luv my 2010 m8 i have about 2700 miles on(all but 600 miles put on in the hills). only problem is broke the spyder in the primary. which seem s to be a huge poblem with these machines. search the mseries fourm on this site. bout a $1500 fix for mine but cases vary. absolutey amazing sled do ride and thro around.
Why is it a $1500 fix???? If you just broke the primary you can get a new one for under $500. Talk to racinstation, FreeAgent, or Country Cat.

starrsleds

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2008
broke the secondary with debris and also took the clutch guard and wiring harness.

I
Dec 3, 2011
Rapid City SD
thanks

Most of the miles on my sled this year are from the 25 mile drive down the highway in the horns from bear to high country, then 25 miles of pow then 25 back. You don't need to worry about the track on trails. The track is only a 2.25 btw. Sno pro was orange and white, hcr green with telescoping post, coil overs on fronts with titanium springs, wider front suspension, same skid but titanium spring on front shock and different valving i believe. Standard is green with coil over skid and front shocks with green springs on the shocks. No adjustable post and standard gauge.

okay it looks like a standard then. i just want to know what I'm looking at when i get there sat thanks for all your help

R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
$6500 for a 2010M8 seems like a really good deal if in good shape. I think average retail is $7850. Make a fair amout of modifications and still be in good shape.

Premium Features