• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New HRP 2006 440IQ For Sale

C
Nov 26, 2007
Lightweight mod sleds cost alot. I am not sure that you could build a roller like that yourself for much less than $12000. After buying a 440 chassis, then all the parts to do the job, you would have quite a bill, plus you would have to put it together. This sled with a big bore small block with a single pipe would weigh in around 420LBS dry. That is a recipe for FUN!!!
If you have really deep pockets, I hear that Mark is building one similar with a whole bunch of titanium. 395LBS dry, 475 full of fuel and all fluids, ready to ride. Price on that one, well, lets not even go there.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Naw to the other motors..

Put a Carls 860 BB HO small block in there.... serious power, bolt in fit, run with carbs, SLP will have a pipe for this, stock mounts, pre mix...

The 860's on a SINGLE pipe and PUMP gas are keeping up with the race gas, twin pipe 910 BB engines according to Carls (who makes both by the way)

Super light and easy to put together. Find a smoked 600 HO as a base donor motor. Sub $17K for one of the most ripping sleds out there.

so what motors would fit? Hmmm a nicely modded 900 cat with a sgl pipe might be fun. sj

C
Nov 26, 2007
Perfect engine

Mountainhorse has hit the nail on the head. A Carl's bored and stroked 860 small block in that chassis would be a mountain sledders dream! But only if your the type that likes really light, really fast, really fun kind of sleds. :D

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
so what motors would fit? Hmmm a nicely modded 900 cat with a sgl pipe might be fun. sj

eazzzzyyyy cheeezzzzzzy, that Cat would fit like a glove!

I would have to agree 12g's is a LITTLE much... I know, I could do it for a lot less than that. I am sure they figured their time into it too...

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Too bad im too lazy to do all that work. Someone do a iqr with a BB cat 975 with a single , ezryde susp , 40 inch max stance , 156 track and then let me know where to pick it up.:D

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
How much you wanna spend and when do you want it done??? Twister and I can knock that out noooooo problem!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
DSC00459.JPG
DSC00461.JPG

I would have to agree 12g's is a LITTLE much... I know, I could do it for a lot less than that. I am sure they figured their time into it too...

You can build this sled, using all NEW parts for a "lot less than that"??
I'm impressed... you get that good of deal on new parts?

I'm counting

Brand new donor UNUSED 440 IQ Sled complete at $6000 (which is a conservative #)
EVOL shocks $1300
RMK Holz (or any other Cromo parts with spindles) $800
Anodized (or cheaper powder coated) tunnel.. not an add on extension, With cooler and bumper $1400
Bigger fuel tank $300
155" series 5.1 track $550 (conservative price for comparison to Challengers)
Driveshaft and extros $400
HRP, EZ, Fabcraft or other comparable rear skid WITH rails $2300

Thats $13,000 for the parts above alone.

Sell the 440 engine, track, skid, shocks etc and other misc parts to cover the cost of the "miscelaneous" parts left to build including powdercoating
PLUS add 40 hours to build this if you are efficient...

Looks like a deal to me. And Mark Holz personally assembling this sled, his stuff is top notch (not to say that yours isn't... I just have not seen your work).

I'm sure it could be done for less if you had a USED sled donor, scrounged around and got some good used parts, and took a month of weekends 9-5, you could do it for less.

Now, to build this as a cat 900 or bigger, you'll be looking at putting some serious $$ into the install for a custom pipe that no one has a pattern for, all of the trimming and fitting,
custom motor plate, airbox??? (pods??)
for an engine that wont make much more power than the 860 Struthers....which is a bolt in motor package that will run with the basic 440 electrical on Premix, off the shelf
pipe from SLP, Factory airbox that flows enough air for the engine from outside of the engine bay,
and be about 20 lbs lighter than the big cat motor... HMMM. That Holz would be right at 415 lbs dry with coolant and shock oil, or less.

With the Polaris HO smallblock this sled would look like it was built by the Factory Polaris race shop... all of the geometry for alignment would be a home-run [first inning],
with a completely unmodified bulkhead.

If you did your shopping, you could get into this with engine, exhaust, clutches.... ready to run for less than $18K.... I'd bet you that Mark and the crew up at Holz
would help you get it there in short order.

Last edited:
S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
There is no question that the sled is a jem!!!!!! Worth that much, sure, but IMO there could be some huge savings with a little discresion. I knew that comment would raise some eye brows, probally shouldnt have said it...

I've done plenty of sled builds, its been a few years, but I know what stuff costs. Some people may be able to find a chasis like that and write the big check. I would guess that most of the sledding world cant. I am one of those.

I have a cost break down on my compter of a budget to every part, nut and bolt, it would take to build a sled similar to that. It was going to be my next build, and my number is far less than that. It may not be entirely new parts, but about 90%. Can I build to the quality of Holz, by myslef, heck no. With the help of my friends, mmmmmm... we have built some pretty dang nice sleds...

BTW... after sledding the next best thing for most of us, is working on the sleds in the shop.. so what is so wrong with that???

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
O.A.,

By the sounds of it, you have built quite a few great sleds and I'm sure that I would be proud to hop on any of your builds...

Wrenching in the shop is one of my better times.

Happy holidays to all!

MH

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
Just wondering , if its a new sled , dont they have lights etc? Or did the racers not come with em? On carls 860 , are the crank probs fixed with his work? I wish someone would buy this sled.... its much to fun to think about owning and thus tempting. sj

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Just curious, who has rode a IQR mod and a RAW chasis??? Can someone compare the two, hillclimbing, boondocking, ect? Some inquiring minds would like to know...

thanks... justin

Premium Features