• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need imput on which silencer to buy!

P
Aug 14, 2011
Duluth, MN
Need a new can to replace this briefcase on my 2016 SKS. I snowchecked it without electric start and with the 2.6. Should be somewhere around 415/417 lbs dry I figure.... needs to be lower! :biggrin1:

Those titanium cans look promising.. and as much as I'd like to have close to a 400 lbs SKS, I'm not looking to spend $550+ yet

The sub $300 cans is what I'm interested in... only weight 4/5 more lbs for almost half the cost.

The cans that come to mind are SLP, GGB Trail can, and Skinz Ultra Q

I've ran a Skinz Ultra Q on my 09 Dragon rmk and loved how it sounded at idle, cruising speed, and WOT

Not a huge fan of the sound from SLP. I liked my Skinz Ultra Q a lot more.

The GGB trail can is lighter and cheaper than skinz.... might make me give one a try.... anyone have any input or videos on what they sound like in comparison to skinz?

looking for:

-Nice peppy deep rumble at idle:face-icon-small-coo

-Not annoying at cruising speeds; have to avoid the DNR and not annoy everyone :face-icon-small-ton

-BRAAAP at WOT :madgrin:

S
Nov 2, 2009
Hugo, MN
Hate to say it but Not many cans are not going to attract the DNR or homeowners along trails in the midwest. The Quiet Diamond S is truly pretty quiet but if you dont want to spend that kinda $ then SLP is probably one of the only that will not get you in trouble.
Maybe I'm wrong but the GGB and skinz from past years are pretty loud compared to what is legal.
IMO very few cans are quiet most are pretty loud and you have more of a choice for loud cans than you do quiet cans...

How many times can i say Cans, Ha Ha

P
Aug 14, 2011
Duluth, MN
Been stopped by the DNR a few times to "check registration". none of us with Skinz ultra Qs got asked anything or were given tickets :biggrin1:... can't say the same for the guys running Jaws and Bikeman..... or the ones without trail stickers! :pop2:

I still think I'd buy a skinz again before SLP, but GGB being lighter and cheaper than skinz.... I'll jump ship if it sounds the same or very similar.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Neil from Neil's Power Pipes put up a pic of his can on FB. His craftsmanship is unbelievable. I would give that a try.

S
Nov 15, 2008
Northern ,wi
My vote is for the ultra q for northern wi and the yoop where I am. Got one for sks haven't put on yet looks nice sad thing is got sled and can almost month ago lol also some deals to be found on the ultra q I got it for 225

Latitude 62

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 29, 2008
Summit Lake, Alaska
I put a SLP on mine. Under $300, fit and finish was great with an 11 pound weight loss and a good track record for performance on the new Axys motors. Sound was where I like it, quiet, but with a little bark with the loud hammer in use. If you have heard the SLP on this new motor, it sounds different than the Pro Ride version. I would not dismiss SLP until you have heard one based on the other criterion. My 2 cents. Good luck.

Pol600

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
silencer noise

everytime i hear BRAAAP at WOT out in the forest,im thinking there goes another newbie.LOL.

Exactly. This won't be popular here, but I wish they would ban the silencers. Non-snowmobilers hate noise more than our tracks. We invite land closures by having these parts.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
The GGB Trail can is what I sell..and run in all our sleds out here in the west.
IS mucho quieter than the GGB mountain can and a lot of others out there-
Only comes in @ 7 lbs so the weight loss is significant and the sound it makes is very quiet but emits a deep tone so you can tell is has a can on it.
Price is very very competitive.

S/C

P
Aug 14, 2011
Duluth, MN
The GGB Trail can is what I sell..and run in all our sleds out here in the west.
IS mucho quieter than the GGB mountain can and a lot of others out there-
Only comes in @ 7 lbs so the weight loss is significant and the sound it makes is very quiet but emits a deep tone so you can tell is has a can on it.
Price is very very competitive.

S/C

Would you be able to put up any sound clips of the ggb trail? The only one I found on youtube sucked to tell how it actually sounds

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Would you be able to put up any sound clips of the ggb trail? The only one I found on youtube sucked to tell how it actually sounds

Mountain cans here last December when I became a dealer testing for them in the West for GGB, - they were perfecting the Trail can at the time
My shop guy here on my 2014 Pro and 2014 Cat M8000/
I will dig to see where my trail can Videos are..In the meantime here are some videos @ 8,700' in some meadow's
The Mountain can barks when the power valves open..

http://vid1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/Sagecrusher/GGB%20Mountain%20Can%202014%20Stock%20Pro%20RMK_zpsysrrsjnw.mp4

http://vid1117.photobucket.com/albu...ountain Can 2014 Stock M 8000_zps4duxl8me.mp4

Last edited:
P
Aug 14, 2011
Duluth, MN
Why doesn't anyone have a video clip of it with the throttle opened up?! It isn't that hard put it on a stand

I've been thinking the same thing! SSI 's pro lite can also has no videos of it opened up either. When I asked him the decibels he referred to it as a quieter can than they usually make but still noticeably different than stock.

Neil's power pipes is going to take some decibel readings at idle on the dyno later this week. I'll throw them up here when I get them. Thinking his products will be on the louder side but they look really good quality and he's been good at answering questions.

I'll do some more research, but right now I'm leaning to the SSI Pro Lite stainless steel. 5.3 lbs and $199. IMO $200 to save 2.5 lbs going with the titanium silencer is not worth the difference. The one video I could find of it on a Axys it sounded a lot like skinz Ultra Q's tone.... maybe a touch louder. Really want to hear it when the valves open.

On a side note, am I the only one bothered by everyone's exhaust videos being taken with the hood and side panels off??? Of course this will make the sled seem louder than it is in the snow......

Premium Features