• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need a little Piston advice.

BLSDEEP

Lifetime Membership
Dec 18, 2007
Bozeman
My buddy just bought his first sled. 2008 SkiDoo 800..... and it seized on his second ride this season...:(
So we have it all tore down and are ready to order new pistons and need some suggestions on the best pistons to replace the stock ones.

Any help much appreciated.

Backcountrypro

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Stock is fine but if you want to go after market I don't think you can go wrong contacting RkTek or Big John. Also before you install new pistons make sure you find out why the original ones failed.

BLSDEEP

Lifetime Membership
Dec 18, 2007
Bozeman
Stock is fine but if you want to go after market I don't think you can go wrong contacting RkTek or Big John. Also before you install new pistons make sure you find out why the original ones failed.

thanks,
I spoke with Dave Trygstad. What a good guy, very helpful. He strongly recommends the OEM pistons. So that's what we are getting.
The piston's seized because of old / bad gas. and -10F riding at 7500'.
Easy fix.

thanks again.

Dec 5, 2015
Wyoming
I have the RK Tek kit in my 2010 XP, the crank bearing blew up and ruined the motor completely. Got a short block and Kelseys drop in kit with the high compression domes since I ride at 9000 feet. I will say it made a noticeable difference on the sled. The pistons he uses work well and I haven't had any issues. If you want to make a little more power I'd look at getting some porting done, I had Felker do it at the same time since he was building and installing the engine. He also has great customer service and will help with the tuning.

Premium Features