• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Moving to BC

S
Mar 13, 2014
Bothell
My wife and I are moving to Vancouver in September for her work, planning on being there for 2-4 years. We are moving up from Seattle so its not a big jump but I have not spent much time up there. I have a few basic questions that I was hoping people could provide a little insight on.

Currently I am driving a F350 with sled deck as our snowparks down here are little tight some times. I am thinking of downsizing the truck and just pulling a two place when riding. How are the snowparks for parking? Better to stick with a sled deck or are most areas trailer friendly?

I have been also looking at making the switch to a snowbike, do many people ride snowbikes in the whistler/other riding areas? This would easy to throw in the back of a 150 and deal with city living. Currently I am riding a 14 Pro 800 155 which I would keep if I go the snowbike route. I am also considering selling my Pro and getting a newer sled and not doing the snowbike route as I think it might be harder to link up with other bikes to ride with.

I am in a snowmobile club down here, Cascade Drift Skipper, which is a good outlet to meet other riders. Any local clubs up there or suggestions on making some connections with people that ride?

Where do people mainly head to ride living in Vancouver? I know that Whistler and Pemberton are popular but is that mainly it?

Any suggestions or tips are appreciated. Looking forward to exploring the Crown Jewel.

flatspeed

Premium Member
Sep 27, 2012
Sicamous, BC
If you are on facebook, post the same questions in 'Sea 2 Sky snow hooligans'.

Other than that, it seems like alot of people from Vancouver ride the Coquihalla summit too. I know nothing of that area, but if you are planning on riding anywhere in the sea to sky (other than say Brandywine/Pemberton Ice cap), I'd say keep your sled deck.

I'd rather drive in Vancouver with a full size pickup than turn a trailer around on a tight forest service road (priorities!)

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
I would agree with Flatspeed. Keep your deck if you are keeping your sled. I have an enclosed and use it about twice a year for roadtrips to the interior. I use my deck even for my snowbike (even though its a PITA)

If you are ONLY going to have a snowbike then put it in the box of your truck.

The Coq and Brandywine (both places I seldom ride) are the only places you can really park a trailer with ease.

Regarding your snowbike vs sled. I have both. This year has been a sled year due to how much snow we have so 29 days on my sled and 3 days only on my bike. Snowbikes are becoming more popular but the ratio is about 100:1 from sleds to bikes. I will use my bike more in April and May when there is not chest deep pow.

S
Mar 13, 2014
Bothell
Thanks for the replies guys. Keeping my truck with the deck setup is what I would like to do as it is less of hassle and cheaper then trying to find something else.

Talking with my local dealer down here he is giving me the same reports on the snowbikes that sleds are the better option for big mountain with deep powder. I will probably go the bike route when I move back to WA. I am strongly considering picking up an 850, if there is ever a time for me to do a snowcheck it would be now.

That facebook group looks very active, big thanks for the heads up on that.

Premium Features