• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mountain Cat twin rail elevate compared to Alpha w/Elevate

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I’ve searched some posts that were a little older. I figured there’s probably a lot of newer info and opinions now that people have got some miles and experience on both.
Are these 2 apples to apples comparison?
If you have both, do you prefer one over the other and why?
Interested in 160’s track length info.
I currently have an ‘18 MC with Elevate, belt drive and a few other creature comforts, 1100 miles. Just weighing my options for next season. Ride another season or move to an Alpha or try the dark side has got me wondering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Friend of mine does not like his 165 Elevated alpha on setup snow. Struggles to keep it on line. He never rode it stock so not sure if that's just an alpha thing or how much the Elevate is adding to the skating around feeling. I've only ridden it in fresh snow. Supposedly the SX type spindles with custom upper a-arm to stand it up more that Nethercott is doing gives more consistent handling on the Alpha in rough or stiffer snow.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I have read similar about set up snow. Haven’t been on one to experience myself though

ndfb35

Lifetime Membership
Oct 15, 2014
MT
I am not a fan of running my elevated 165 in hard/spring snow. It takes a lot of effort to remain aggressive enough while not being too aggressive.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
The Alpha will have a little better floatation and push with the 3.5P 165. That track works REALLY well in the deep. The Twin rail will be more consistant and stable in more tech terrain, especially in less then 1' of powder snow days.

If your a powder snob the Alpha is going to be a nice upgrade. If your someone that goes out and rides in all the snow all the time, the Twin rail is hard to beat for edge setting and consistancy but you will be giving up a little on deep days.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
^^ this is exactly what I’ve been thinking. I do ride in all conditions and whenever I can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I live my alpha and wouldn't trade it for a twin rail, Its just easier all the time, even in setup spring snow, BUT if your on that icy crusty crap, shes more likely to drift/ slip the back end down a bit because the track will flex and angle vs a twin rail itll force the edge of the track to generally bite in.

That said I also think if Im in that kind of situation per say, I'm either doing something dumb or should be going straight up because you can loose a sled easy in that kinda condition down a hill as well. I usually wait until the bit LATER spring where now the snow is softened and its not freezing at night, now your good to go again lol.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I live my alpha and wouldn't trade it for a twin rail, Its just easier all the time, even in setup spring snow, BUT if your on that icy crusty crap, shes more likely to drift/ slip the back end down a bit because the track will flex and angle vs a twin rail itll force the edge of the track to generally bite in.

That said I also think if Im in that kind of situation per say, I'm either doing something dumb or should be going straight up because you can loose a sled easy in that kinda condition down a hill as well. I usually wait until the bit LATER spring where now the snow is softened and its not freezing at night, now your good to go again lol.

This was my next questioning. I really like riding in the spring also. I don’t like ice or hard packed snow on any sled, but soft spring snow is fun. I always read about and see video of deep dry snow, the spring soft snow is a reality. I’m in the nw and it’s a couple months worth of riding.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
What I’ve learned riding the alpha on hard spring snow is that you’ve got to be conservative on the throttle. If you keep from spinning the track you can side hill on the hard snow all day long, but if you get antsy and grab a handful of throttle that’s when the back end washes out. It’s usually pretty easy to recover though.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
This was my next questioning. I really like riding in the spring also. I don’t like ice or hard packed snow on any sled, but soft spring snow is fun. I always read about and see video of deep dry snow, the spring soft snow is a reality. I’m in the nw and it’s a couple months worth of riding.

Yeah I usually ride into may here, may not get out as frequent as main winter but it's still lots of fun to be had once it stops freezing. The hard crusty snow is frustrating for everybody.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
In deep consistent snow the Elevated Alpha is a blast. The traction is unreal and so easy to ride. Easily the most fun sled I’ve ridden. Where I struggled and why I changed mine to a twin rail elevate is in technical terrain where the snow is not consistent, soft to hard and you’re not aware the hard is there. I just could not react quick enough to recover on the 154, or spent more energy fighting the twitchiness. I spent sometime on a 165 and it’s a bit more forgiving in those situations. As said above the twin rail elevate is more consistent and precise but you are giving up a bit of traction. Also the alpha likes to make its own tracks, harder to follow a buddy through a steep treed sidehill section where there is really only one line.

I don’t always chase the storms so ride on whatever we get so for me a 153 twin elevate just works better. I do miss the traction and wish/hope AC releases an alpha track punched for twins.

Last edited:
Premium Features