• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Missing riders in snowy range 2/21/11

S

snowcross338

Feb 17, 2006
Laramie WY
There are two to four missing groups of riders between the Albany county side and the carbon county side, if you are riding today keep an eye out for an xp with a sled necks wrap along with a black and white xp. Also an older guy with his son on a newer arctic cat 800. Those are two separate groups I have heard about. Check in with the sheriffs dept at green rock about details. Also 10high extreme has a post on facebook about it! Thanks!

S

snowcross338

Feb 17, 2006
Laramie WY
These 2 with the slednecks wrapped xp were found, guess there is still atleast one more group lost! Will post updates when I hear more!

W
Dec 6, 2009
there was 3 riders out of colo. that got separated off o trail. One guy walked out down sand lake road, they other two were still missing as of 12:30. they had a good idea where they should be. hope all ends well.

B
Feb 21, 2011
Please let us know if you have names. Our neighbor, Budd Metcalf, a WYO native living in Colorado has been missing near Laramie and everone here is worries sick... especially his wife. Your blog if more helpful than the news/media. Thank you! You can always trust a "Cowboy".

S

snowcross338

Feb 17, 2006
Laramie WY
Just heard from the Sheriifs office all are safe and sound, not sure if saratoga search and rescue found all there's but it sounds like it! Good job guys!

B
Feb 21, 2011
You guys rock!!!

This forum, radio, cell phones, text messages and technlogy in general can save lives. It's just an example of how people work together in a crisis. We all know that conditions and circumstances are unpredictable in this environment. Our friend survived on his toughness and his knowledge from a WYO upbringing. Regardless of skill/experience, people sometimes need help and in WYO/NYC/etc I think this coutry has the best emergency responders. Well done!!!

S

snowcross338

Feb 17, 2006
Laramie WY
Someone should make a sticky for stuff like this on here, I was asked to post on here and watch facebook today since I had to work tonight I couldn't go on the search, was going to head up in the morning if they still needed help. I relayed messages from home this afternoon to guys on the mountain that could check their phones in the parking lot, and had seen a couple of them yesterday while riding. This works great when everyone works together!

Mtn-Track

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2009
N/E, CO & GL, CO
Rode out of Albany yesterday due to the winds. The lodge listed 2 missing out of Greenrock and 2 out of Albany. I'm guessing from above they're all located and safe now?

Also, there was a Thykol Imp that went off the trail and was stuffed into the trees on "C". The groomer out of Albany didn't know about it so he thinks it might have happened Sunday sometime. Does anybody know if it's a private cat or SAR?

WyoRMK

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Laramie, Wyoming
I agree that Tech can and will help save lives! As one of the Volunteer searchers yesterday we relied heavily on our Garmin Rinos. The ability to poll each others location was worth every dime! The visibility near the Glacier and Sheep Lake Area was near 10' at times. With out the polling/mapping feature we would have been separated from our own groups.

Another thing that would hep S&R operations is leaving a fact sheet with loved ones. Make and models of sled, what gear you have and colors. Anything that can be used to help the searchers know what they are looking for. Often times the people calling in the lost sledders know nothing about what the lost people have with them.

As for the Thykol Imp, in friendly conversation at a gas station I was talking to a gal helping fuel a trailer and she mentioned a family member had a snow cat stuck near Keystone. Bet that is the one!

Last edited:

Mtn-Track

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2009
N/E, CO & GL, CO
As for the Thykol Imp, in friendly conversation at a gas station I was talking to a gal helping fuel a trailer and she mentioned a family member had a snow cat stuck near Keystone. Bet that is the one!

That's probably the one. It was headed north on "C" by the wilderness area and there are some cabins south of there. It's going to take some serious work to get it out. I might be able to free it with my cat's winch but would have to anchor the back of my cat to a tree to do it. Even then, a chainsaw may be your biggest friend....

Premium Features