• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MDS/Our proto 2010 M8 clutch weights showing 10hrp to track on load cell dyno!

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
Put a set in my 2009 m1000 with a slp pipe bdx intake and PCIII pulls like crazy! Made a huge difference! Unbelievable on the hill! Steve has done my work for years he knows his ****! So if u dont know him dont bad mouth him.

its not a matter of badmouthing him, i can tell you my spark plugs make 4hp over standard plugs, but i guess iam not willing to "try" $200 i need a better explantation. i dont have a problem with new products that work.

and far as top secret angle and pin weights all you have to do is order them

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Look at the pix on there site.
They have a diff pin location is the big thing. Im having a hard time with the 240 US $$.

D

Double A

Nov 27, 2007
Central Washington
its not a matter of badmouthing him, i can tell you my spark plugs make 4hp over standard plugs, but i guess iam not willing to "try" $200 i need a better explantation. i dont have a problem with new products that work.

Redundancy...:heh:

P
Nov 22, 2009

If you'r talking about copying the design. Maybe you've heard of the patent office?

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
well if i bought these weights and they do put 10hp to the track what to stop me from copying them i dont have to tell anybody if i was to pop my sidepannels off would you notice that there mds copied weights????

if they work they work but maybe its just me i cant get it through my thick skull of how there getting 10hp to the track with just weights. these style of clutches have been around for a long long time. if somebody was to exsplain how there getting 10hp to the track i would be interested,

at this point i might as well by a tornado they claim 10hp and better mpgs and its cheaper

CatMan88

Lifetime Membership
well if i bought these weights and they do put 10hp to the track what to stop me from copying them i dont have to tell anybody if i was to pop my sidepannels off would you notice that there mds copied weights????

if they work they work but maybe its just me i cant get it through my thick skull of how there getting 10hp to the track with just weights. these style of clutches have been around for a long long time. if somebody was to exsplain how there getting 10hp to the track i would be interested,

at this point i might as well by a tornado they claim 10hp and better mpgs and its cheaper

Maybe you should call mds and he can tell u how instead of *****ing to everyone about it.

C

Catzilla1412

Jan 26, 2010
Wenatchee, WA
:face-icon-small-sho I thought i was on a performance/modified thread. I'm sure we all have spent more money than that, with the hope for alittle more HP. If not, then your makin your own parts. Nothing wrong with holding out for more info. Just can't see what the need for negative comments being made on a product that is intended to be positive for our sport! If you don't want to buy it, then don't & catch up with the rest of us later! :wave:

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
if somebody was to exsplain how there getting 10hp to the track i would be interested,
8-12 HP to the track isn't unheard of with adjustable weights. At least I've heard that claim before.
It's all about clutch efficiency. The CVT system is not efficient by any means, but it does function for our sport. In the primary clutch, one of many shortfalls (JMO :wacko:) can be the cam arms.
With a snowmobile clutch it isn't really a one size fits all. OEM weights aren't bad, but usually have some inadaquecies. I don't know much about cats, but I will reference the 10 series Polaris weight. They work good in a lot of applications. However, put them on a high torque big HP sled and you will find they lack side force at engagement and full shift out. It can be hard to optimize clutching with these.
Now take an adjustable weight. They usually all have a heavier area around the pivot for more positive engagement or an ability to adjust engagement. Then you can adjust the middle and outer holes to optimize up shift and shift out. Not only does this allow you to fine tune rpm, but it allows you to do this to rider/sled weight as well as riding preference. Basically, all you are doing is increasing side force on the belt for less slippage.
I've never used these particular weights, but they seem to share some ideas with heel clicker and MTX. Should be a good weight. Obviously I'm a fan of just about any adjustable weight. There are pros and cons to some of these, but overall they are all an improvement. I've been able to get as much performance out proper clutching as some do out of adding a pipe. Sorry for the long read, but I hope that sorta explains it. :blah:

snowblind

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
los angeles
www.mtnX.com
why is everyone so sceptical and badmouting of this product?
I heard thsi kind of stuff when simmons made their plastic ske and when arctic made their plastic ski and now there are no metal skis.
track speed under load (torque) is the thing we are trying to get with every pipe or turbo or nitros. for 250 it is cheap and simple. The fear of problems backshifting is a valid one and with all the combos that you guys are presenting, who knows what you guys have done to the equation. If you are willing to bore and port and run a speedwerx pipe with a super silencer and a d&d y pipe with polaris drive and an arctic driven, THEN JUST TRY THE WEIGHTS and tell everyone once and for all what Your Results were.
Or dont try them and move on to a different post.
And yes you can buy and copy the weights for your own sled, but you can not market them to others if there is a valid patent.

OPEN YOUR MINDS. I remember when gear drives were supposed to give 8% more Hp to the ground. Dont know if that is true, but I am running 5 of them and never have broken a chain again. try it and let us know if it works for you. I would like to know.
chris fiore

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
He has guarantied them, the money back kind. So either your just causing heII or don't have the money.

One thing that is different about these weights is the amount of weight they carry and still hit target rpm, and as some have stated they seem to increase the range of elevation you can ride while maintaining rpm. Put those two points together and you can come to the conclusion that these weights are built to hit the power mark and pull through obstacles, reducing the need for backshift, which in effect keeps the belt cooler and increase side force without over shifting the secondary.

As I stated above this is the same amount of weight ran in the 4 post, One thing I know for sure is at 8,000ft my 07 m1000 with slp pipe and stock clutching it would pull 55-60 mph track speed almost immediately and never drop, also it would spin the track all the way to 95mph without a hickup. My 09 with same pipe I have seen drop to 40 mph track speed and not gain much back and pretty much stop gaining speed around 80mph, much more than that and it blows the belt. (I have gone over alignment and everything else to keep belt from blowing, but it still happens)

When he says 10 more hp to track on the 2010 m8 he is talking about a stock m8, you could try other weights and maybe get the same effect over stock. But, I think these weights will do more all across the board than any other, and can't wait to get my sled back together to try them. I have ran stock and mtx's and some setups work better than others but I know there is more to be had. So far most of the adjustables friends have had carry close to the same profile as stock and I don't see the improvement there could be, and look at how much people pay for practically stock style weights that you can adjust.

I have been looking for a weight like this for over a year and finally someone went out of the box and did it. either way its making or sport better.

D

Double A

Nov 27, 2007
Central Washington
These weights lay down the Smack!

Got my weights from MDS on Thursday (thank you)
Installed them. Got out riding with them and must say how much I really like them. I noticed a BIG difference in accelleration...Backshift was excellent... and cruising down the trail... EFFORTLESS.
Never been so happy with a clutch weight before. And I have tried them all.

So thanks MDS, For giving us something different and kick ***!

I want to go again already!

MONEY WELL SPENT!!!:face-icon-small-hap

gopher-it!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
weights

Got my weights from MDS on Thursday (thank you)
Installed them. Got out riding with them and must say how much I really like them. I noticed a BIG difference in accelleration...Backshift was excellent... and cruising down the trail... EFFORTLESS.
Never been so happy with a clutch weight before. And I have tried them all.

So thanks MDS, For giving us something different and kick ***!

I want to go again already!

MONEY WELL SPENT!!!:face-icon-small-hap

whats the rest or your set up, stock springs ?, helix,? track lenght?

Mike89

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern Alberta, Canada
I have to admit I was a bit sceptical before but .... WOW!!! Steve sent me my weights for my 08 m8. I told him the set up I had. Got them today, just put them on tonight. Ihave never had weights that pulled so fast so hard and so long. I had 77 gram in before. I could never get the right rpms (I ride at 1000 feet could only get about 7850 max) Steve got it right on. I'm at 8050 now just perfect. I want to go out again!!! Clutches stayed cooler just as advertised. Can't wait till my mountain trip to try them out there. Well worth the $$!!! I would recommend them to any one. Thanks Steve!!! Awsome product!!!!!!:face-icon-small-hap

mike

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
Not to long ago we all used to buy some ones clutch kit that usually included weights and 2 springs and usually a helix of some mystery angle (that was usually ground off) and installed it all, and it worked sometimes!! some times not so good. If you look at the weight profiles from polaris and cat they are baiscally similar in shape (Generic)so each manufacturer used the same weight and springs and started using the multi angle helix to compensate for the generic weght to straighten the shift curve, (Clutch tuning 101) now Yamaha figured out that they needed to make a weight to match the power curve of the motor and made some really strange looking weights,, and generally they worked for their intended application and they generally used straight angle helixs,, Ski doo also did this as their ramps look similar but any one who knows doo clutches can attest to the minute changes that make huge differences in performance ,,again curve following the engine power curve... Now in the old days we had weights in the exact same profile just different weights (example 10mb,,10mw,,10mr polaris) but it never acounted for a different engine power characteristic for mods, we were always looking for the perfect tune ?? and it was elusive.. we would put this weight in an then need this spring or this helix or this jet and some of us slower minded people(me) took all season to get what we thought was the perfect tune, then some one would blow buy us on the hill,, Back to the drawing board. Now I have a set of MDS arms in my hand as we speak,, and running my finger over the curve I can tell you a lot of time and thought went into this weight and its pretty obvious why they are a drop in no other parts needed, as steve has said you dont need a box of springs or different helixs to run these,, as to the price I dont think they are any more expensive than a generic weight with 2 springs and a helix that may or may not work, and he has a guarantee,, rare in todays world!!!!!!!!!I will be running these at 10K++and am verry hopeful!!!:beer;

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
what is the adjustability spread on these? 10gms seems to be normal, but you can't actually get full 10gms from most and have similar performance.

I liked my cutler weights, and would like to go back to adjustables again.

Premium Features