• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Making a Assault deep powder friendly

N
Nov 5, 2012
I have a 2011 Polaris RMK Assault. I was wondering if there is a way to change the attack angle on the track to help it in deep powder? Is there any other things a guy can tweak to make it handle in the deep stuff better? It has a powder track on it now. It also seems to be a real bear cat to carve and side hill with. What is the best left hand throttles out there and are they hard to install?

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
If you do a search there is actually some good info on Assault suspension set up.

One of the first things is drill out the rear suspension front mounting holes and re-mount the front of the rear skid.

Next get the rear track shock set to your liking and then move to the front track shock for the balance.

Lastly, as far as the lefty throttle....don't waste your money. Personnally, your left hand is for brake and the right for throttle and for back country riding, your on and off both of them alot!! I think you'll just give yourself a handicap, again just my thoughts.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Narrow the front end. I like the goldfinger lefty. They work great. Love pointing out to antileftist's several times during a days ride where it would have made their riding experience easier. Its the first mod I put on any sled right after a tether. Simple install takes about 30 minutes.

C
Dec 24, 2014
With the skid arm relocated and the 5.1 track it is pretty much a Pro, it should sidehill like a mofo.

I have never had a lefty on a sled. I know friends that have but I never see them in use. Much of my tree riding has become quite "fast paced" and a lefty, to me, is nothing but dangerous. On the Pro with the wrong foot forward, you should easily be able to balance the sled such that running the throttle isn't a problem.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
As stated earlier, move your front skid bolts to the upper hole to reduce trenching. You'll likely have to drill out the holes. Put your skis at the narrowest setting. Set the RTS spring to your weight and adjust the FTS spring to your liking. You'll probably end up with the FTS spring looser than factory spec. Clickers all around set a few clicks in from softest.

Beyond that, it just takes practice. Make certain you're standing tall when sidehilling and not bent over at the waist. You also need to be looking at your line and not down a the front of the sled. Your waist should be up near the bars.

Lefty throttles are dangerous, IMHO. If you've never used one, don't start a bad habit.

N
Nov 5, 2012
attachment.php

Is this the hole you guys are talking about to move the skid to?

0122151546a.jpg

N
Nov 5, 2012
Sorry about the picture being sideways. Do not know why it did that:face-icon-small-con

How stiff/soft should the springs on the skis be set at?

Last edited:

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
As stated already, yes that is the correct hole to drill out.

Move it up and the handling characteristics will change quite a bit!!!

I ran a 2012 Assault before my 2014 Pro and I had it dialed in pretty good, with the changes already mentioned.

Don't be afraid to make suspension changes, just make sure and do one thing that at a time and keep track of what your doing. With a little time, you can really dial in the sled to your liking!!!

Premium Features