• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lodging in Alpine

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
My wife and I are meeting up with two couples from MI in Alpine between Christmas and New Year. Looking for recommendations for lodging.

We prefer to be all under one roof, and it would be nice if it was dog friendly. There's a house on vrbo, but I'm not sure it's snowmobile friendly... and another that would be great except no dogs allowed...

Anyone know of a place that might work? (Rockin M doesn't allow pets either.)
Thanks for suggestions!

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
Yup. I saw that house on VRBO. If we had another couple or two going, we could easily swing the price, but it's a bit steep for just the six of us...

And the lodge just has rooms and small 2 person cabins...

Thanks for the info though, we'll find something...
Chris

J
Jul 18, 2014
Yup. I saw that house on VRBO. If we had another couple or two going, we could easily swing the price, but it's a bit steep for just the six of us...

And the lodge just has rooms and small 2 person cabins...

Thanks for the info though, we'll find something...
Chris

Ok... Well its about $68 per night per person for 6 of you for a new home with trailer parking and heated garage that you can ride your sled from verse a hotel room..... just sayin

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
Ah, we chickened out... I had a couple people tell me that most of the riding closer to Alpine was fairly wicked good, but we have some less skilled riders that might not like that so much, so we booked a place we've stayed at several times before over near Bondurant. (Cow Cabins) If there's good snow, we can ride east into the mountains right from the cabin. If not, we'll trailer down to the FS trailhead west of Daniel Junction and ride toward Blind Bull, where there's a ton of play area! Easy enough to drive up to Togwotee if we want to check that out, and we'll do Granite Hot Springs one day too! Might still like to check out Alpine later this winter if the snow is good though!! :)

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
I've been to the Big Horns in early summer, but it looks like it would be awesome riding. Unfortunately, the years we've planned trips, the snow has been HORRIBLE, so we cancelled. Riding between Xmas and NY this year, I'm fairly sure the snow conditions won't be that great in the Big Horns...

We'd like to ride the Alpine area... Would those of you who do agree with my friend that the riding close to town is a bit challenging? We need some tamer areas for the ladies, and so went with what we know. If there is good riding there for a group, and not 20 miles out of town, we might trailer over for a day and check it out... We've only ever sledded over, and that's a pretty long ride, where you're pretty much stock on the trail for the last 10 or 15 miles down into town, if I recall correctly...

Last edited:

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
The great thing about Alpine is that it has so much to offer. The Greys river is possibly the best self guided area to ride in the region. Nearly impossible to get lost. For those needing some trail to keep the less experienced riders happy there is 28 miles of groomed trail (and many miles in addition) to the Box Y which has Fuel, lunch, and plumbed rest rooms with plenty of off trail riding options along the way. Besides the Wyoming side, the Idaho side has much less traffic with 1000's of acres of more wide open boondocking type riding. With a short drive there is access to possibly some of the best snowmobile drainages in the West including Willow Creek, Strawberry, Indian Creek, and Sheep Creek. Most people end up riding Alpine because they get bored with areas such as Togwotee (which tends to look the all same), not the reverse. The options in the Alpine area are fairly limitless. Just my opinion.....Rob

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Alpine sucks. Don't go there and don't listen to Rob. You'll just mess up my powder:p

Seriously though, there are many easy riding areas off the "self guided" main trail, but they are a bit of a drive. McCain meadows is a great loop, but it's about 20 miles of trail first. Blind Bull is 30 miles out, but the Box Y is near by for lunch and gas.

There are much closer places. Some that Rob mentioned, but you'll need a guide to navigate them. A lot of the closer spots are challenging too.

MI1M600EFI

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 15, 2008
Mancos, CO
Thanks fellas! That's the info I was looking for.
I'm sure we'll hit the Blind Bull area, but likely from the other side. And per Rob's comments, we may just skip trailering over to Tog unless the snow is horrible. Some of the best riding I've ever done was up toward Blind Bull, trying to open/follow the "H" trail south after a week of storms and no grooming. It was wicked awesome!!

Perhaps we can find my wife an environmental engineering job somewhere close by, and then I can just ride Alpine all the time. :)

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I've been to the Big Horns in early summer, but it looks like it would be awesome riding. Unfortunately, the years we've planned trips, the snow has been HORRIBLE, so we cancelled. Riding between Xmas and NY this year, I'm fairly sure the snow conditions won't be that great in the Big Horns...

We'd like to ride the Alpine area... Would those of you who do agree with my friend that the riding close to town is a bit challenging? We need some tamer areas for the ladies, and so went with what we know. If there is good riding there for a group, and not 20 miles out of town, we might trailer over for a day and check it out... We've only ever sledded over, and that's a pretty long ride, where you're pretty much stock on the trail for the last 10 or 15 miles down into town, if I recall correctly...
Yeah, I agree on the Bighorns it can be hit and miss. But I am afraid it's going to be like that this season in a lot of areas of the country. I know of some that stay in Pinedale which is close to where you are staying but I have not been there. Sounds like you have a good plan going. Hope for snow and good luck!

Premium Features