• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Just bought 05 900 RMK 159. Where's the intake getting air from!?

F
Nov 26, 2007
Hey guys,

I just recently bought an 05 900 RMK 159. It has 1900 miles on it and seems to be in overall good condition. I love it so far. From what it sounds like, the sled has the things done to it to make it more reliable - like the updated crankshaft, it also has a new clutch as of last year (same time they replaced the top end and crankshaft). It has the front radiator delete done on it also. One thing I'm a bit confused about though...the intake looks weird. I know stock the intake comes from up by the dash, goes through a plenum and goes into the front of the engine. This doesn't have that plenum though, going into the throttle body is just an aluminum block, no hose coming off it or anything that I can see, so I have to assume it's getting air from the front of the sled somehow (maybe up in the chassis in front of the control arms, but I really couldn't feel an opening there). Is this a common intake for this machine or is it some kinda weird custom thing? What else should I check for to make sure this sled isn't going to give me problems?

Thanks!

F
Nov 26, 2007
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it has a bunch of venting installed too. There's even a little computer case fan installed for some active air management by the vent next to the left knee, I thought that was kinda cool... Here's a pic of the intake.

900 intake.jpg

JDPol

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2005
Looks like a tcp intake which draws air from the front nose cone.
The air enters from the radiator intake screen as well as from 2 flo-rites that are installed on each side of the nose piece. When I had one on my 900 I also added a couple of flo-rites on the radiator block off plate. The airbox worked well for me when I ran the slp reflash for their pipe and modified intake

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Looks like a Vanamburg or TCP intake both take air from the front as mentioned above. Its not weird they where one of the first aftermaket intakes available but the where not the greatest.They can get starved for air if the grill if front gets clogged with snow .As mentioned ad some venting to the rad. block off plate and some flowrites in the shock tower area. those intakes where/are not very popular but if you add some exta venting so it can pull cool air all the time it should work fine .I suggest taking it appart and looking around to see what you have . The rad block off plate is a goood place to vent i would just use a big drill bit or a hole saw and glue some screen over the holes . its way cheaper that flowrites and you cant see it anyway ! good luck!

M

mtnclmr

Nov 27, 2007
Bozeman, MT
I had one of those tcp intakes back in the day. I also had the florites in the block off plate but that gap behind the plate was always packed with snow. The snow actually ripped out the florites couple times and packed the whole thing with snow, I ended up covering the wholes back up.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
thats definately the TCP intake (Tri-City Polaris in Utah) i also had that intake..it worked well for me, and was used with Nitrous and no issues...i had it pretty sealed up from snow, but had lots of front venting and used a pet screen over the intake to stop snow ingestion...

if you dont ride deep powder and mainly trails..this intake will work fie for you..

i also have the Secondary Clutch Fan Kit on my sled...pretty simple concept, just blows air on the belt as it rotates...the fan will burn out from the crud eventually, but easily replaced...for about $15 on ebay...TCP charged $101 for the fan kit, and 2 console vents...way over priced for what it was...

Premium Features