• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

JackShaft & Bearing Problems

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
All years of QD interchange. The chaincase shafts are longer for the external brake setup. They can be used but look goofy sticking out an extra 1 1/2” for no reason and a spacer would be needed.

S
Dec 11, 2018
Just hit 600 miles and have my driveshaft worn in the non-driven berring. I will be now replacing that and checking out the jackshaft and everything else meantioned here.

So what locktite is being used on the pulley and sprocket bolts? And anyone know where to get the 110B glue?

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Just hit 600 miles and have my driveshaft worn in the non-driven berring. I will be now replacing that and checking out the jackshaft and everything else meantioned here.

So what locktite is being used on the pulley and sprocket bolts? And anyone know where to get the 110B glue?

Blue loctite should be adequate (assuming proper crush / clearance for the Bellville washer to not bottom out). Napa carries the 111B under their Martin Seymour line, Fusor 111B, part number#FU 111B. Still made by Lords but marketed as Fusor, to the body shop industry. Where as Lords is marketed to OEM’s and production based clients.

R
Apr 1, 2018
RR. 4th shaft? That's not good. Something is being reinstalled that shouldn't be IMO. If the torque stays (bolt remains tight), even if the bearing goes the shaft should not be damaged (aligned or not).

You must be on a '14 shaft now (longer shouldered bolt for the top pulley) so there are 3 other things to pay close attention to.
The disc brake is a spacer too. Look at the inner end of the hub that tightens against the bearing. Is it deformed (not flat, mushroomed slightly into the shape of the bearing race). That disc is made of soft material (has to be for brake friction).
You can replace the disc (maybe Poo changed the design) or a better repair is the take 30 thou off that side and replace that distance with a shim of the same thickness (the ones you use for behind the secondary work great).
Now you have much more surface area to torque against the inner race. Enough that it should not mushroom again.

Next check if you have any clearance between the end of the shaft and the face of the pulley. Mine was so close to flush (if it is flush the washer will bottom out on the shaft and not apply the bolt torque to the pulley). The '14 shaft may be different but I added 10 thou to the shim between the disc and bearing to get some clearance there.

The other thing to look at closely Is the spring washer for the pulley bolt. Mine was too relaxed (flat) and the OD was too large. The OD was larger than the cast in steel insert on the pulley gear so it was actually torqueing on aluminum not steel during initial set. Not right and as soon as the aluminum gave the torque was lost (you can see the shiny on the pulley face and the outer edges of the washer).
A Doo jackshaft washer is about 100 thou less OD and made of slightly thicker better spring steel (4 loonies though lol). It returns to a conical shape after disassembly.

When you reassemble use high heat green locktite on the pulley bolt and take it to AT LEAST 45 ft lbs and let it cure over night (I also used it between the inner race and jackshaft cause it was there).

Like I said before, if the torque stays, short of a complete failure on the bearing, the inner race should not spin on the shaft.

If you take your time to straighten out the chaincase OR shim the jackshaft ( so C to C bearing to bearing is correct) you will see a lot less pulley heat.
My sled needed 50 thou behind the chaincase on the jackshaft and 30 thou outside the tunnel on the drive shaft to take out the side load on the bearings.
Not much when you consider the big picture but enough to make my bearings grumbly in 1700 miles. New bearings are happy happy lol.
Sorry to revive an old thread, but i'm currently going through repairing my jackshaft for this exact issue. I just glued a new QD plate on last night and bolted everything together. I ordered some washers and am going to take the Brake rotor back off and use a lathe to machine it flat and use the washers as you've suggested. How do i go about determining the width of shim i need on the inside/back side of the bearing up against the Jackshaft shoulder to eliminate side loading on the bearing? also, if you recall how thick are the washers? i ordered one of each p/n 7555917 and p/n 7555864. Think I will need more washers? these were the two P/N that came up for the washers behind the secondary. My jackshaft was toast looked like the one pictured earlier in this thread as well as my bottom mag side drive shaft bearing was toast and it took out the QD plate and needed replacement. Glad i found this info and hope to fix it right this time!

Premium Features