• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is Durango Good Riding Usually?

k-teck

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Is Durango a decent area to ride usually good terrain and snow?

C
Dec 24, 2014
Doesn't sound like you are too familiar with the area. Durango is on the edge of the desert. The mountains are actually a 20+ mile drive depending on direction.

I think Wolf Creek Pass which is closer to Pagosa, Molas Pass near Silverton or Barlow creek up north of Delores are the bigger riding areas but all of them are a bit of a drive from Durango.

The season is about average right now. The real snow season starts in Feb and runs through May. Rarely is January a good time to come this far south, the snow is still marginal at best right now.

J
Mar 31, 2012
Mancos, CO
I'd say this year is slightly below average. I live about 20 minutes east of Durango. I normally ride at Wolf Creek, Lemon and Molas Pass. We just had a good storm yesterday, got about a foot at my house, so riding anywhere around here right now will be good. There was a pretty decent base before this storm.

The San Juan Sledders link that was posted is a good one to check. Good descriptions of the riding areas and maps.

k-teck

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I have only ridden WY,MT and ID so I am beyond a greenhorn for Colorado...I am looking for a place where I can buy a place and if I have to travel 20-30 miles that's not a problem... My question would be if there is an area that on a normal year has good snow and riding.. Is that Wolf Pass area?

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Bump your travel times up to an hour or two, and you just described the Summit or Eagle county area.

Winter Park ski area has the most consistent snow of any place in the State, what that means is that they're the most likely to get near their average every year.

So, say you pick Vail Pass as the place closest to your home. If it has a bad year, the odds of Rabbit, Hahns, Jones, Corona, Grand, Montezuma, etc etc. all Goose egging that year are fairly low.

Wolf Creek has big numbers, but those numbers can be feast or famine.

Basically divide the State in half north and south, north = more snow and people, and south = less snow and people. Few places in the South can have big numbers like Wolf Creek and Silverton, but also got to go farther if your home area goose eggs.

k-teck

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Hey thanks capulin overdrive for a another great response. I will start looking into those areas and see what is a great place for a second home. Is anyone out there looking for a couple new riding buddies?? We can hold are own and come with all our own eq.. truck.. trailer.. etc.

C
Dec 24, 2014
I don't think it is quite fair to say the north half of the state gets better snow. I would be willing to bet my stash in the south is equal to or superior to anything I see posted for the north half of the state on a regular basis. I also find that the lack of people is a huge factor, less people = more untracked snow and no parking lot hassles. I would quit riding if I had to deal with the circus on Vail pass or the like.

Not sure I want to give my spot away but keep in mind real estate here isn't cheap. It is $250k for a double wide... just so you know.

Plenty of snow falls down south:face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:
C
Dec 24, 2014
You might want to check out Montrose... Good access to Grand Mesa to the north, Crested Butte to the east, Silverton to the south and you could buy a decent second home around $150-200k. Weather and altitude in Montrose are similar to Denver, pretty mild.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
I didn't say better, I said more.

I'm a south guy, and the San Juans are the most bad *** mountains in the lower 48.

BUT, the north part just has more snow and powder days.

Also the north is cooler in the summer for golf and fishing.

J
Mar 31, 2012
Mancos, CO
I'ved lived north and south. I lived in Fraser/Winter Park from 98-2004, and I've lived in Durango/Bayfield for the past 10 years. Winter Park does get great snow and is usually pretty consistent year after year, same holds true for Steamboat, and most of the front range mountains. I spent a lot of time skiing all over that area year after year.

What Winter Park and the front range doesn't get are the big storms that dump 2' or more at once, which Wolf Creek and the south gets frequently. The south is also much better because there are way fewer people down here. I don't miss those crowds at all. I can go out riding to my favorite spot on a Saturday, show up at 10 a.m. and not see another car in the parking lot. That would never happen anywhere within a 3 hour drive from Denver.

It is true that you can wait awhile between storms some winters down here. I'll take that over the Denver crowd anyday.

S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
All this mine is better than yours is fine, but bottom line, snow in most places, except a few, stink right now in the state. This last storm produced more in the center of the state. Last year and this year so far have really sucked for Wolf Creek, where as Tower\Buff Pass had a stellar year last year.

Sam

S

skywagon

Oct 29, 2010
Not great anywhere yet, the dump several days ago in the south helped that area. Just spent three days in Pagosa early last week and driving over Wolf Creek it didn't look good, some snow right on top, lower areas not so much on each side. Buddy's house in Pagosa had a couple of inches in the Yard. Son and his wife rode the east side of the Flattops a week ago and around 3 feet on top, lot of sugar and poor base. Snow just fair on the Ears, same for the Mesa, our snowmobile club has a week end ride out of Vega Lodge on the north side of the Mesa this week end. We need a big dump state wide, this tme last year was somewhat better everywhere.
Stay safe, Ron

Premium Features