• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

IQR pipe issues....any suggestions?

himarker

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2002
Prescott, Washington
I bought a '06 IQR chassis and im in the process of installing my 900 UBR. At one point the sled had a 800 non-ves in it and the kid sold me the pipes for that motor when i bought the chassis. I talked to Fastrax, and they told me that those pipes would not work. The stinger size at the outlet of the pipe needs to be 33-35mm in dia. The crankshops that i bought with the chasis are only 30mm. My SLP race twins that i had on my 900 in my edge chassis are 35-336mm on the outlet. I dont know what pipes to use. Do i chop up my SLP's and make them fit, or do i put a bigger end on the crankshops and fit the inlet flangto to mathc my motor and run them? I know this is confusing as h#ll, but i need some help. Thanks for the help

himarker

hudini

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston area
Cut up the SLP pipes....The non-VES pipes will not work the expansion chamber is tuned differently. Like I said in the PM, just take your time and get them to fit really well. The reason the end needs to be larger is to flow more air. If you don't run the larger pipe you will notice a bogg especially when hitting the hill in consecutive runs or when you are boondocking. i have ran into this problem myself. I had Ted at Terra-Alps set me up with his front dump and that setup changed the end of the pipes to a larger diameter. All of my bogging issues went away and I had better bottom end etc. You will really notice the issue with your 900 as I am running the 910 and it took me about a year to finally change things up and getting rid of the bog. You also want as much air flowing into your motor and you will want it to be consistant temps. Let me know if you need any other info. or specs.

O
Dec 10, 2007
I built my iqr with the hot seat 925 big bore based off the 800 big block ves motor. The sled runs great around Minnesota, but not the best in the mountains. It has a bog and seems to run its best right when we are leaving for the morning. When ever I make a run at a hill I can't pull full rpms. I know this isn't my clutching and gearing. I literally can't pull more the 7375-7500 with a bog up a hill. We were told that it was due to the big bore carbs. I think they are bored to 41.5-42. So I recently bought 40mm to throw back in there and try them our next trip out to cooke this January. I have never heard the discussion this could be coming from my pipes. I believe mine are the slp race pipes. Can someone give me more feedback on this? What should the measurements be on the pipes?

Thanks for any light you can further shed on this topic

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
i have a friend that fixed my IQr pipes after they were smashed flat to a tree and he also fixed my KTM pipe. He does amazing work and is more than fair on the price. His name is Denny and his # is 406-209-0380. You won't get better work done cheaper by anyone. :beer;

He could convert your SLP pipe to fit.

B

Big_T_Roose

Aug 14, 2008
Just take your time cutting and think about what you need the pipes to do. I just got done fitting pipes in my IQ race sled and it took about 3 hours.

O
Dec 10, 2007
my pipes fit fine. I don't run a headlight so I have plenty of room. Just wondering about the bog that was brought up earlier in the the tread. Think it is something that I'm dealing with on my 925. I can't get the thing to run for the life of me in the mountains. I have had plenty of time on it out there and ran every combo of clutching. It bogs and won't get rrrrs. Wondering if it is my pipes like mentioned in this or if it is my big bore carbs?

Our group has had nothing but great luck modifiing 800 ves motors with pipes, heads, porting etc and running them in the mountains. Just can't get the 925 to run. Might have to drop my 800 ves in it for when I go out.

Premium Features