• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

INFO ON GEARING DOWN A STOCK PRO RMK WITH QUICKDRIVE USING 7 TOOTH DRIVERS

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Info on gearing down 2013/14/15 PRO RMK's with the QuickDrive™ System using only 7 tooth drivers.

I've received many emails/PM's asking about this topic.

So...I'll put up my thoughts here.

NOTE: This discussion applies to QuickDrive™-Beltdrive equipped 2013/14/15 PRO RMK owners only ...Assault and Std.-RMK's have chain-drives that are easy/inexpensive to gear down in comparison.

There are a lot of 2013/14/15 PRO RMK owners that would like to gear down their sled, and have found out that there are no factory options for this... and the aftermarket beltdrives cost over $500.

Changing to smaller diameter/tooth-count drivers alone becomes an attractive option to some because they are a lower cost option to gear down a QuickDrive-Beltdrive equipped 2013/14/15 PRO RMK.

With all of that said the answer to the question
"Can I gear-down my sled with 7 tooth drivers?"

YES.

For a 7 tooth 2.86" Pitch driver compared to the Factory installed 8 tooth driver you will go from the factory ratio of 2.09:1 to an effective 2.38:1 taking the smaller size of the driver into account.

For a 7 tooth 3"pitch (for the X3 tracks, 9174/9175 or other 3" pitch)... you will go from the factory ratio on 2.09:1 to an effective 2.27:1 taking the smaller size of the driver into account.

Both are a "decent" final drive ratio, IMO, for a mountain sled... a bit lower is ideal... but, on a QuickDrive™ equipped sled... that will be costly with a gear-down kit ($500+)

There will be some that will chime in and say that a smaller driver is not ideal because of the smaller diameter (or even a bad idea).
I'm not here to argue that point or against it.
Nor am I here to discuss weather gearing down a sled is necessary.
Nor is this a discussion about the merits of an aftermarket Belt-drive or gear-down system.
...All of these are good topics for ANOTHER thread should you choose to start it.

A lot of our readers are currently running 7 tooth drivers on their sleds.. weather it is a 2.86" pitch or 3" pitch.

Avid-Products is currently the only mfg. that makes Combo drivers in 7-tooth count in both 2.86" and 3.00" pitch that fit the extruded hexagonal aluminum driveshaft on the 2013/14/15 PRO RMK's.

They have two types...
1) A driver they call, Power Claw (AKA "PC") drivers in both pitches. It is a "combo" driver that has both involute teeth that engage 99% of the time with the rubber involute drive nubs inside of the track and also have extrovert teeth that engage the driver windows in the track when your track starts to slip on the drivers (AKA "Ratcheting"). You have to trim your rails for this type of driver. (I run this driver when changing)
CLICK HERE FOR INFO
2013pol3200.jpg

2) Avid also makes a second type that has a center tooth to fit stock RMK tracks and aftermarket tracks equipped with a center driver design. You do not have to trim your rails with this type.
CLICK HERE FOR INFO
Polaris%20ctr%20dr200.jpg

Although you can get them custom made... I do not recommend that you use a strictly involute drive 7-tooth driver as there is less engagement on the track and this would be much more prone to ratcheting.

Avid also makes the original style Combo-extro driver, but I much prefer the Avid PC drivers as they do not run on top of the track-clips all the time and, in my experience running both, the PC style runs smoother than the old style Combo-Extro drivers.

PRO's...Cost Less than $300 for the drivers and press work, you will gain tunnel/lug-tip clearance, even with stock.

Con's... You must remove your track and driveshaft and press off/on your drivers.

For myself... I have no issues trimming the rails to run the Avid PC drivers.
Factory Polaris IQR race sleds use this same type of driver... as do Ski Doo, Arctic Cat and Yamaha in mountain and trail sleds.

I hope you find this info helpful....PRAY FOR SNOW.

Last edited:
Premium Features