• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I need some suggestions...

M

merlin2569

Jan 13, 2008
Clarkfield, MN
Guys i have a 2001 Ford F350 with the 7.3 in it. I am looking for a new truck. I want to stay with the diesel. I have always had ford trucks. However i am not a fan of the 6.0 or the new 6.4. With that said i found a 2006 Dodge Mega Cab with the 5.9 in it. I have never had a dodge and really know very little about them. Just wondering if i would be happy going to the 5.9, wondering how the cummins is to work on compared to the powerstroke because i like to do a lot of my own work on my trucks, and whatever other information you guys could tell me would be useful.

i was once in the same situation as you however i couldn't justify/afford getting rid of my '02 powerstroke with only 85,000 miles on it. But if i could afford to do it i would go for a dodge. I was actually looking into an '06 mega with the 5.9 as well. Nothing wrong with fords but not a fan of the new diesels. in my opinion the cummins would probably be fairly easy to work on because it is just a straight 6 cylinder. also looks to be a little more room under the hood compared to V8 diesels. i believe you would be pleased with a 5.9

H

Hrt Offroad

Nov 3, 2008
Okotoks, Alberta Canada
I owned 8 Super Dutys and went to Dodge after my second 6.0 - Never been happier with a truck!! 5.9's are super easy to work on...there's actually still room under the hood:D

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
Check out these sites for good info

http://www.cumminsforum.com

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com

Lots of good info there

The only thing I will say is if the modding bug bites you and you start adding power, other stuff will need to be upgraded.

3rd gen Cummins (03-07 for the 5.9s) can make 500 hp with a programmer and box stack. Probably about double the hp of the 7.3 with a chip.

Obviously stock autos and stock clutches don't like 1000 ft lbs to the rear wheels.

I have an 03 auto and like it. A good valvebody and torque converter makes a nice difference. I also had an 01 6 speed and had a Southbend clutch in it. Pretty much will take anything you can throw at it up 500-600 rwhp.

You see a lot of Dodges with the manuals. Having had both, I will say the auto with some upgrades is great. Maybe if I was towing 10-20k consistently I would say the manual is a better choice and I would switch.

None of the 03-07 trucks are very problematic. Typical front end wear items (seem to be the same for all HD diesel trucks), and maybe injectors being more failure prone then the older trucks. Especially the 04.5-7.

03-04.5s have problematic lift pumps which are easily fixed with an aftermaket lift pump. Like my Airdog personally.

03-04s have a smaller turbo and a little less power (HOs are 305/555 vs 325/610) but are known for better mileage.

04 has Tow/Haul auto but is really just OD lockout

05 gets better shift patter for Tow/Haul but no OD lockout.

Some 05s have plastic intercoolers.

06 has OD lockout and Tow/Haul

06 has different headlight and interior. Although I like the 03-05 interior better.

07 has different badges

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Coming from a diesel mechanic i would never own a 6.0 havent had to work on the 6.4 yet so cant say much for them. i drive a 07 megacab with the 6.7 and couldnt be happier. the 5.9s are tested and proven there probably the best diesel out there imo. Only thing with the dodges is there front end. Ball joints and tie rods. Also some frame flexing where the power steering is bolted on when you go big tires. All the problems can be fixed with aftermarket componets. Dodge actually released a Front end update that seems to be working really well for the tie rods and ball joints. That being said Fords are just as bad with the ball joints.

M

merlin2569

Jan 13, 2008
Clarkfield, MN
Hey guys thanks for the help. I think i am going to be sticking with my ford for a little bit longer. The dealership only was going to give me 5,000 on trade for my truck. Thought that was a little rediculous. But thanks for the help anyways.

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
Hey guys thanks for the help. I think i am going to be sticking with my ford for a little bit longer. The dealership only was going to give me 5,000 on trade for my truck. Thought that was a little rediculous. But thanks for the help anyways.

97 7.3L owner.

I have been told that the 7.3L is one of the most difficult engins to work on (I have no experience with other diesel engines).

I also understand that the cummins is a great engine and a lot easier to work on, If you decide to keep looking.

Premium Features