• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

how to put gps groomed trail maps on your phone

I
Nov 5, 2012
Hey just thought I would share this. I have an android phone (an older Google Nexus One) with a free appliction called Oruxmaps (downloaded off the marketplace). This is a neat little app that lets you load in different maps for offline use (the Nexus One has a real gps chip and can work where there is no cellphone signal). There is also an application on the oruxmap website that lets you convert a jpg image into a gps map (if you have coordinates of the corners). It turns out that the washington snowmobile trail maps at

http://www.parks.wa.gov/winter/trails/mapdownloads/

all have gps coordinates. I converted the pdf to jpg, entered the pixels and coordinates near each corner, and created a map that would work in Oruxmaps. I have only done this so far for the Fish Lake and Mad River trails but plan to add some others.

It is pretty neat and seems to be dead nuts accurate according to some waypoints I already had marked this past weekend up at Fish Lake. I will try to attach a zip file of the Fish Lake and Mad River maps to this message if anyone wants to try it out without creating their own map. Files are about 50M so not sure it will work on this forum. Nope, sorry, weenie 100k limit. :face-icon-small-fro

I
Nov 5, 2012
check out the polaris trails app

Hmmm, not bad, but doesn't have the detail of Oruxmap and the wa.gov grooming trails. Still, I loaded it in as a backup, thanks!

edit: wait, maybe I have the wrong app. I just turned on airplane mode and the polaris app quits working. If it won't work offline, it is near useless in places like Mazama.

Last edited:
Premium Features