• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How are the new chain cars holding up?

0neoldfart

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thorsby, Alberta
Regarding the C3 belt drive, I installed one on a boosted M1100T, a M800 with a 925 big bore, and a Pro RMK with a Carl’s big bore. No issues with any of them with 2500 miles on the belt each

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
Regarding the C3 belt drive, I installed one on a boosted M1100T, a M800 with a 925 big bore, and a Pro RMK with a Carl’s big bore. No issues with any of them with 2500 miles on the belt each
I have only heard good things about belt drives, i think the chassis must have been tweaked or something, the belt would ride to the inside on the bottom pulley and actually rub on the inner chaincase. finally through a straight edge on it and it wasnt aligned. put a machine washer behind the top pulley to space it out a bit and then rode it on one more ride. when the belt would break it was never because i hit something, one time was half throttle in pure powder. it had tunnel dump exaust you had to take off, then take off the oil tank and belt cover then dig the wadded up belt out then install new belt set tension and so on. was quite the pain.

N
Nov 14, 2012
I have 3k km on mine, so approx 1800 miles, and Just had my case apart , Will re-run the chain for another season, Everything looked great, yeah theres some wear with the aluminum sprocket but its got plenty of life yet, the aluminum gear has that initial wear in and it gives way to the chain, Yeah sure we may not like seeing the oil turn silver almost immediately But it is an extremely fine shaving and aluminum is soft, if it was such an issue I'm sure cat would not of done that.
agreed! The aluminum gear will ”wear in“, but not “wear out” with out mega mileage. They grey oil isn’t nice to see, but if changed every year... not a problem. The tensioner may fail, or you may break the case, but I doubt there’s many chain failures.

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
What do you think of the C3 Belt Drive?

Love it so far (3000 km). Just blew first belt. C3 did say 3k is reasonable but should get more mileage out of a belt. Easy change on the mtn which was one of the reasons I went belt drive. Definitely quicker throttle response And a bit more track speed for me (dropped .1 in gearing).

B

BelaeFury

Banned
Oct 25, 2022
Kansas
Most motorists associate the timing chain drive with reliability, durability, and reliability. Such beliefs are confirmed by practice, although there are exceptions too. On some cars, it pulls out quite quickly, sometimes even tears.

B

BelaeFury

Banned
Oct 25, 2022
Kansas
Most motorists associate the timing chain drive with reliability, durability, and reliability. Such beliefs are confirmed by practice, although there are exceptions too. On some cars, it pulls out quite quickly, sometimes even tears.
If this does not lead to serious consequences, the owner of the car is quite able to do the replacement of the timing chain on their own. However, the disassembly procedure is quite long and time-consuming. It seems to me that newer models of cars are doing well with this. I read about it on the news site https://zumroad.com/automotive. Maybe something will change over time.

Premium Features