• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Here we go - Reviving the 9 ----------For mountain riders, Polaris is introducing the new Patriot 9R engine – a radical, naturally aspirated big-bore

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
For mountain riders, Polaris is introducing the new Patriot 9R engine – a radical, naturally aspirated big-bore that Polaris officials say creates 7 percent more power and 12 percent more torque than the Patriot 850 on which it is based. It’ll be available in select RKM Khaos and Pro RMK packages for those who order in the spring and offers a slightly different ride experience than the also up-power Patriot Boost.

C
Feb 10, 2019
Saskatchewan
Built a khaos 146 last night, with the large display, electric start(yes i like my electric start just the same as i like my power windows in my truck), skidplate, front and rear bumpers, handlebar bag and a spare belt would have that sled at right around $29,000 taxes in here in Canada
Jeez, i paid $15,000 tax in for my 2020 sks 146 as a leftover in december of 2020.

At what point(no matter what brand) does it become unaffordable to ride sleds.
I cant see myself snow checking a sled and stroking a check for nearly $30,000

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
It’s the Dans of the world that keep me on snowest.
Brutally honest and looking to help anyone.
Glad you and your kind are thick skinned enough to ward off all the morons that see you as offensive or the enemy because you speak honestly about what’s broken.
Poo is not my color, but I still benefit from your input cuz it helps me keep my other colored friends riding instead of pulling out straps and going home early.

I’d take one honest guy inside the engine compartment to a thousand clown videos renaming the 360’s we’ve done for twenty years a bow tie or whatever’s next.
Drop a cornice and call it a waterfall so the cool kids will try it?

Anywho
Appreciate the straight tech talk in the face of all the criticism for being honest.

Speed-Demon

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 25, 2020
AK
I’ll be contacting Dan about my 9R on the second engine. I was happy to see a 3 year warranty on what they’re calling a mod motor. Dan is 100% correct when he says the light weight crank/flywheel will be a problem with longevity. Especially if it’s anything different than what Carl’s has been doing. As they seem to have some 900s out there with some serious miles on them (2,000+). And yes, I consider 2,000 miles on a souped up 2 stroke a fair amount considering it’s usually beaten to within an inch of its life and then some. Lightweight rotating assemblies are loads of fun. I have 2 similarly built 400 strokers only one has callies lightweight crank, bme aluminum rods and custom pistons that are under 500 grams (that’s way light FYI). The other is standard Scat forged crank, h beams and Ross pistons. The difference in them is night and day. The lightweight build makes near 30 more hp just based on the rotating mass. The snap in that engine is something to behold when you’re behind the wheel. Violent best describes it. The “standard build” is super smooth and way more predictable when your driving aggressively. Still makes a bunch of power at same rpm, just different. Just how they act makes me want to refresh one sooner than the other, as you can tell the light one just feels “harder”. But anyways, I understand what I bought and am very excited to take delivery at whatever date. More so I think than my boost. It’s got to be a beast! And I’ll be hitting Dan up for some of his knowledge for sure. Thanks again Dan for posting your thoughts and ideas on here. ?

S
Dec 28, 2009
Built a khaos 146 last night, with the large display, electric start(yes i like my electric start just the same as i like my power windows in my truck), skidplate, front and rear bumpers, handlebar bag and a spare belt would have that sled at right around $29,000 taxes in here in Canada
Jeez, i paid $15,000 tax in for my 2020 sks 146 as a leftover in december of 2020.

At what point(no matter what brand) does it become unaffordable to ride sleds.
I cant see myself snow checking a sled and stroking a check for nearly $30,000
I had a 2019 SKS 146 and replaced it with a 2022 RMK 146 slash. These two sleds are words apart in terms of what they were able to do I am very happy it moved on from my 146 sks.

I paid 17K CAD MSRP for my 22. I build my same sled (850, standard gauge, manual start, raw tunnel) for 23 snowcheck and it comes out to 18,5k CAD MSRP. It is possible to make a lower cost machine, just have to give up some of the fancy expensive stuff like bumpers, gauges and bar bags.

Here is the build if if interested.
850 RMK Khaos Slash 146
S23TLG8RS
engine-icon-850.png
850 Patriot - Limited Availability

Options​

15 x 146 x 2.6 Series 6
$309.00 #0120058

Gloss Black / Matte Black

Raw Tunnel

Raw Rail
#0119743-01

Manual Start - Low Elevation Clutching
$149.00 #0119290

Low Windshield

WALKER EVANS VELOCITY HI-LO
#0119743-02

Low ProTaper Handlebar
#0119394-01

MessageCenter Display
#0119394-02

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Best wishes to any of you brave enough to buy another 900. I have no doubt that indydan is correct and it will be a tragedy. If I still rode sleds I wouldn’t touch one of these with a ten foot pole.

On the bright side I did learn a lot about sleds and made a lot of money because of my old 900s . Still not doing it again !?

t30mg

Lifetime Membership
May 8, 2010
Brush Prairie Wa
You can all mark my word ( The 2023 9R Polaris Motor will be an absolute....

Dan

Let's mark them for the fun of it. How many miles you think on average before each one craps the bed?

IIRC, when the 850 came out you swore they would scrub their rings out on the rough factory cylinder finish and no dealer or polaris would be able to help..
Man, alot and I mean ALOT of those 850's blew through 3k miles without ever getting their motors opened up...

Last edited:
P

pj8556

Jan 11, 2008
God's country
You can all mark my word ( The 2023 9R Polaris Motor will be an absolute...

I trust Polaris Waaaaay more than I trust Indy Specialties. I have been sold absolute junk from them more than once with zero responsibility taken and I was stuck fixing inferior motor builds and big misses and mistakes myself Lots of $$$ and lots of headache lost riding time due to Indy Specialties?? MARK MY WORDS!!

Colbymh

Lifetime Membership
Sep 1, 2018
Oregon
I’ll be contacting Dan about my 9R on the second engine. I was happy to see a 3 year warranty on what they’re calling a mod motor. Dan is 100% correct when he says the light weight crank/flywheel will be a problem with longevity. Especially if it’s anything different than what Carl’s has been doing. As they seem to have some 900s out there with some serious miles on them (2,000+). And yes, I consider 2,000 miles on a souped up 2 stroke a fair amount considering it’s usually beaten to within an inch of its life and then some. Lightweight rotating assemblies are loads of fun. I have 2 similarly built 400 strokers only one has callies lightweight crank, bme aluminum rods and custom pistons that are under 500 grams (that’s way light FYI). The other is standard Scat forged crank, h beams and Ross pistons. The difference in them is night and day. The lightweight build makes near 30 more hp just based on the rotating mass. The snap in that engine is something to behold when you’re behind the wheel. Violent best describes it. The “standard build” is super smooth and way more predictable when your driving aggressively. Still makes a bunch of power at same rpm, just different. Just how they act makes me want to refresh one sooner than the other, as you can tell the light one just feels “harder”. But anyways, I understand what I bought and am very excited to take delivery at whatever date. More so I think than my boost. It’s got to be a beast! And I’ll be hitting Dan up for some of his knowledge for sure. Thanks again Dan for posting your thoughts and ideas on here. ?
It's 2 years on the 9R, not 3.

F

Fastpapa2

Nov 21, 2020
Lake of the Woods, Canada
Hello, fastpapa

the answer is yes, we are building a limited run of 9R Big Bore motors at this point, we first thought 10 was a good first run but high demand we are going to try to do a 20 motor run.

The features of our 9R Big Bore is the lower cylinder sleeve extensions will be much thicker then the OEM cylinders., and the cylinders will have our HG7 Finish, and the cylinders heads will be a new release 1 piece custom machined head with replaceable domes….. ( Stock pump Gas Compression Ratio ) The other feature is our crankshaft will have a completely redesigned PTO-End, and the OEM Roller PTO Bearing will be replaced with Twin ball bearings.

if you are interested let me know and we can get one locked in for you.

Side Note - I believe the new Polaris 9R Motor is much different then the older 2005/06 - 866/755 Motor and a much better design across the board…. And I believe Polaris is reacting to what the public wants and is making changes as fast as an OEM of its size can make to build a dependable motor.

There are many people at Polaris fighting the Bean counters with a vengence to make the required changes needed for more dependable features.

Thank you !

Dan

I will call in to get one locked in,

Last edited by a moderator:
Premium Features