• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Help Stuck in Gardsmens/Snake Creek Canyon Area!!

S
Mar 1, 2010
SLC, UT
Well we have been exploring more and more of gardsmens pass this year. We always park in at B.C.C. gate. Yesterday was turning out to be a great day. Went up to Clayton's peak came down though the rock garden and down into the birches above Brighton Meadows. Everyone still with me? Made it out to Wasatch Meadows is what i guess it is called. Then we went down into this gully because it started out mellow on top but got narrower down the fall line, my buddy was having trouble turning his sled around so we thought what the hell we just keep going down this gully.(Bad idea) well it got a lot steeper and narrower and before we knew it we were in some trouble. Well we keep going down this gully cause that the only way we really could go then we get to where is was just a steam that was not totally snow covered. We couldn't see anyway to cross it and new we had to get out of there so the we got the sleds turned around(not a easy feat) and rode up onto this little opeing above the gully and tried to climb our way out(not up the gully) but it just keep snowing all day and it was just to deep for us. I like to think i'm an decent sledder but we were both in over our heads. So i after getting stuck a bunch of times and trying to climb out we decide it was time to start worrying about ourselves and not the sleds so we parked them on the opening below the trees and above the gully and climbed up the gully we came down. I was so tired from riding all day and get the sleds unstuck that i pretty much crawled up this gully. my buddy was in a little better shape so he was climbing a head of me and just happen to find lofty peaks tours taking some guest on a tour at the top were we started in Wasatch meadows so we got really luckily and they gave us a ride to there starting point at the golf course in snake creek canyon. then got a ride to slc from some of the guides heading home for the day. So now the real question is how to get the sleds out...? the lofty peaks guides said they could probably get them out for some $$$ and that's our plan right now but i just want to know if anyone on here has good knowledge of Gaurdsmens/snake creek canyon area that might be able to help out or just some advise.... sorry this is so long but i felt i need to explain everything for you guys to better understand it....

S
Mar 1, 2010
SLC, UT
P.S. they sleds are a 03 Arctic Cat 900 with a 151" and a ski doo rev 800 with a 144" so i feel like to sleds could make it out either out the bottom or up the top just me and my buddy do have enough skills to do it.

mtnpull

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Heber City, Utah
www.uintarecreation.com
Have you considered waiting until Monday or Tuesday for it to stop snowing and get better visibility? Could help in making better judgement calls as to where to exit at. I am not sure the exact are that you are stuck in, but there are definitely some nasty little canyons in there.

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
surprised that those sleds couldn't get out on their own I have an 03 900 151 my wife rides did you guys keep running up your own track its called poaching using a down track for traction. Do that and pack it down real good then you can fly out of most places. Also how are both of you at side hilling. Get these sleds out on your own and chaulk it up as a learning experience! A good rider always gets out a better rider can see all of the problems before he gets into them!

S
Mar 1, 2010
SLC, UT
We are planning on waiting till the storm clears then get them out before the next storm which is supposed to be on Thursday(i think). I would say side hilling is our one problem area i can do it but not very good. I like the "poaching idea" just not sure if that will help or not

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
Wait till the snow settles....they got a ton last night up in that area. Try to pack down a good path without trenching it out too bad.....get a snow bunjie:face-icon-small-win

Chief

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
SL,UT
Snowshoes and shovel

Double up with friends to get back in there.

Take snowshoes and avy shovels.

With the snowshoes and shovels pack/cut the trail you need to ride out the slope. Make it just a little wider then the sleds.

Do this in each area that you're worried that your sidehilling skills aren't good enough.

This is how the search and rescue crews get sleds out of that kind of spot.

Good luck,
Chief

G
Feb 16, 2010
If you are where I think you are, i was stuck down in there a few weeks back and hiked out down that gully. Look at a map and try to determine if you think that creek goes down to the Snake Creek power plant. If so there is an old mining road on the north facing side of where you are stuck down in that i found when i came back the next day. I live in Midway and would be willing to assist you.

B

built4dtuff

Dec 17, 2002
Northern Utah
If your were able to walk out my thoughts you should be able to ride out. How long did it take you to walk out? I would get with the guy who has been there done that!! If you go in after them make sure you get help. A lot of good peeps on here that might enjoy a ride:)

S
Mar 1, 2010
SLC, UT
Ok just for a little update for eveyone....the snowmobiles guides went down and tried to get the Arctic Cat out today with no luck...i dunno if they walk in or rode in but couldn't do it. So im willing to pay anyone who can try to help get us outta there, i work nights so morning are better for me, please if u know anyone who would be willing to lend a hand i would be grateful. thanks for all your help so far and i look forward to the responses

BeeDoo

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
UT
Sent you a PM -- I can get a couple peeps and we can try to get them out if you'd like. I'm free today, tomorrow, and Friday.

Steve

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
One of Lofty Peaks guides got the sleds out on Wed. He spent most of Monday and Tuesday working on the sleds just to get them running. Not the best maintained sleds I guess.

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
One of Lofty Peaks guides got the sleds out on Wed. He spent most of Monday and Tuesday working on the sleds just to get them running. Not the best maintained sleds I guess.

WELL THAT WOULD MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE THE SLEDS DONT TAKE CARE OF THEMSELVES!:D

Premium Features