• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Has anyone tried the Toyo AT3?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I have not found an AT that beats siped BFG AT's in the snow. My last set we siped the ever living hell out of them and I ran them year round with no problems. Very tough sidewalls for the shale rock you get on logging roads, good puncture resistance, looks cool, etc. They last forever on half tons, but I have heard the longevity on diesels is not that great..

Everyone in the Kootenays runs em ;)

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I considered them, but had concerns about weight carrying capacity with my camper. They were also unavailable in the size I was after :(

Maybe I'll try them once I get out there ;)

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
I have not found an AT that beats siped BFG AT's in the snow. My last set we siped the ever living hell out of them and I ran them year round with no problems. Very tough sidewalls for the shale rock you get on logging roads, good puncture resistance, looks cool, etc. They last forever on half tons, but I have heard the longevity on diesels is not that great..

Not sure why siped tires are not more common , they actually extend the life of the tire .

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
From what I have read, siping does slightly increase traction on snow, ice and in wet condtions.

It slightly increases stopping distance on dry roads.

It causes tires to wear faster because of the increased heat generated by more tread blocks.

It probably voids the tire warranty.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Your reading is faulty.

I won’t run anything not siped on my trailer pullers.
Outstanding traction. Outstanding stopping.
Have had warranty on two quarry rock drills. My siped tires outlast non siped EXCEPT for high gravel road mileage in 4wd you can tear sipes out if cut too close to edges.
I have my dealer trained to sipe mine for free or I’ll go down the road and he’s happy to keep me.

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I just bought my second set. Ran the first set 2 winters. Liked them a lot. Just put another set on the new truck. I have only drove it home, but I am expecting good things.

M
Aug 15, 2020
I've used the Toyo AT3 for more than 6000 miles, and my impression is that it handles wet and dry roads as well. But when I went into the deep mud area it was a bit difficult. It can be said that it is very quiet, I think it will not disappoint you.

M
Aug 15, 2020
There are some articles on the internet about this tire, you can refer to it at

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
I had a set of Atturo on a work vehicle after trying several other AT tires. I usually put on 3000-6000 miles a month and have to go out to a lot of remote areas and highway time to get to those areas. No cell phone reception, no help for miles etc. Many tires just don’t hold up for long and burn up the tread on pavement, loud drone, suck on ice and add weight making takeoff on some vehicles like the vehicle can’t get out of its own way. In the past I found BF's nice but wore out very quickly with no warranty on the tread life. Copper Discoverer STT were decent (made by super swamper) but not real great on ice, Toyo was similar to the BF's. All were buzz saw loud. Found the Atturo to be a good well rounded tire, plenty of grip in ice, snow, mud, sand, rocks, quiet for an all terrain on the highway at speeds up to 85mph (55mph was the loudest). Takeoff from a dead stop seemed unaffected and fuel economy seemed unaffected. Factory tires burned off at about 20k and I talked our fleet services into letting me stick a set of AT on it. They agreed and it was easy to talk them into it since they were about $40 A tire cheaper than the stock tires that came on the vehicle. Stuck these on and they had about half tread at 75k miles when I turned it into our fleet. Warranty on the tread is 45k miles which it was easily on pace to achieve and then some. Dealer here stopped selling them and had to order online. I chose Walmart to buy from and then took into the local shop to mount and balance and install new valve stems, that way Walmart would also direct warranty the tire. Think it added $55 to the overall cost of all the tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
35x12.5x20e

IMG_20220912_173521011_HDR.jpg

About 400 miles, They are a lot quieter that the RT's that I ran year around, better ride also.
I did go smaller , the RT's where 37s, even though it's live and some extras the reduction in size is noticeable on the silver bullet dirty max. 37s are to big for my needs.

I did want F load and 13.5 but none in the state and backorder like everything means wishfully thinking. Price also went up 600 bucks since earlier this year.

They are definitely going to be a better winter tire I believe comparing them to ATII's , not the RT's that just came off.

Been threw 4 sets of the older AT's including the first gen. Pros and cons , heavier load rating wears way better than ones on a half ton, foot print is rounded easily.

I
Dec 21, 2016

I’ve got LT275/65R20 KO2’s on my 2018 2500HD diesel and I’m coming up on 40,000mi and I’m estimating 50% maybe 60% worn. I rotate & rebalance around the same time of every oil change or about every 7,500mi and drive conservatively in stop & go or city driving where I believe the diesel torque really kills ‘em. They’ve been great all around on my truck in every situation and although they’re a tad noisy (still very tolerable), they’re quieter and smoother than Grabber ATX’s I tried. I have owned & driven other trucks with other popular AT’s and these have been my favorite so far. I may end up replacing them before winter with the amount of miles I’ve been driving and have considered the AT3 (along with the new Nokian Outpost AT, Firestone Destination XT, and a few others), and am sure they’re great as well but hesitate to mess with something that’s working so well for me.

I
Dec 21, 2016
Getting close to 50k now on my KO2’s and they were at 9/32” even across all 4 tires the last time Discount Tire rotated them. Starting to get a tad louder, but not obnoxious. No handling quirks yet.

C
Dec 14, 2020
My experience with bfg was the sidewalls cut easy and they don't work all that well anyways. I had a set on a cj-7, and hated them. Coworker swore by them until he tried falkens on his work truck. He hasn't bought any bfg's since. He also cut 2 bfg sidewalls on rocks in a driveway.

Tried the Toyo at3 on my old 2000 crew cab long box 3500. They hooked up well, wasn't happy with the amount of tread squirm. Just felt loose on the highway.

Work truck has a service body, 18 crew cab long box Duramax that weighs about 6k rear, 5k front. Falken wildpeak at3w on there currently. They work well but do throw rocks like crazy. The falkens work better than the Toyo at2, and the hankook at2. The hankooks we're scary on ice, and I blew sidewalls out of them every 25-30k for the 3 sets I tried (shop warrantied, I gave up after the 3rd set).

My daily is a 16 crew cab long box 2500 Chevy. I run Michelin at2 in the summer because they work fine for everything and last forever.

General grabber Arctic LT in the winter with studs. Holy **** are they on another level. I can cruise right through stuff in 2wd that would have me clenching the seat with my ass in 4wd with the Michelins.
The single biggest thing is that I can actually stop. The shiny hard pack or ice that has any normal tires turn into a slow motion wreck, I can still jam on the brakes and slam into the seat belt.

Premium Features