• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Has anyone tried the Toyo AT3?

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I'm in the market for a new set of skins before winter. My truck is a CCLB F350 SRW. I use a deck exclusively in the winter and a heavy slide in truck camper in the summer.

I'm currently using Toyo AT2 Extremes, but they are done. The tires have worn great with 46k miles on them but are not ready for another winter. It's 1100 miles to the nearest riding area.

The AT2 leaves something to be desired on ice and for those big dumps where the lot or logging road hasn't been cleared out. I'm wondering if the AT3 is any better? I'm currently running a 295/65/20 but haven't ruled out the move to a 325/60/20 Duratrac for exclusive winter use and another set of Toyos for summer as my camper is not a lightweight.

Any help would be appreciated!

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I ran 295/65/20 AT3’s all last winter and this spring/summer. So far I like them. Good traction on slick roads pulling a enclosed 4 place last winter. Them make a little noise, but not bad. Only about 6k miles, but seem to wear well. I debated between the 295 and a 35x12.50 20. I am glad I went with the 295’s. A little taller and narrower.

zal

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northern Alberta and Northern BC
I have a set on my truck. They are a very quiet tire on the highway. I also don’t find them “rock grabbers/throwers”.
As for winter, I haven’t had a real chance to try them out. The only chance I had on snow/ice was heading to Grizzly Lodge end of March. I had to park near where they push the snow into a pile. So it was ice, rotten snow and mud. I thought for sure the truck would slide sideways while backing up the trailer as I had to park onto the snow berm. Never slipped the tires and was impressed with the traction.
Id buy them again.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
After many years and many tires I have moved to Ice tires in the winter and summer long life tires for the rest of the year. The realization is that you are not likely to die if you get stuck but there is a good chance if you skid off a highway at 100+ kms/hr. The Nokian Hakkapeliita studded tires have been a real eye opener. I am surprised how long they last and how good the traction is while being almost silent and that is a big feat for studded tires. They will be going on for the 3rd year this Fall and I drive my Ram 3500 about 700 kms every week through the mountains. For the summer I am getting Michelin Defender LTX M/S installed today. Sure they call them a 3 season tire but the reason I am going with them is their exceptional long life and quiet ride. I have Toyo AT Extremes coming off and they have been good only they are once again out of balance and worn pretty bad.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Teth-Air - If I didn't have an 1100 mile commute to ride, I'd consider studded winters too! I'll be relocating to the kootenays at some point and can cut down on the mileage!

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Have several hundred thousand miles between AT1 and AT2 sets with nothing but great experience. We have AT3s on our 2500 work trucks and seem to be just as good. A little higher road noise brand new but not mudder annoying. Not much time in snowy conditions yet, but have never been disappointed with the ATs in winter. Price is still up there, but I don't mind paying for something that has outperformed other brands IMO.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Lots of great feedback so far guys, thank you! Keep it coming. So far it looks like I'm going to give the AT3s a try.

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
I have about 10k miles so far on my 275/65/R20 AT3s on my GMC 2500. Bought them in October 2020 so I have 1 winter on them. They have done great so far and seem to be wearing evenly. They hum around 35mph but then quiet down at hwy speeds, nothing too obnoxious. They did great in the snow last winter and built confidence in slick conditions, which I expected for a brand new "severe snow" rated tires. This winter should be a more realistic test. Overall I like them and would buy them again.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
I put a set on my Ram 1500 (daily driver) this spring, super happy with them. The previous tires were a completely worn out set of AT2s, not exactly sure the mileage on those tires. The tires were the exact same size, non-LT, just changed from AT2s to the 3s and the ride quality difference was significantly noticeable. Not sure why, maybe it was just how wore out the AT2s where but it was a significant seat of the pants difference.; it really helped me get over the price tag of the AT3s......LOL!!! Wish I didn't have such a newer set of tires (different brand) on the F250, I would not hesitate to put a set of AT3s on it. That truck doesn't get driven much, so it will be a long time before it needs a new set of rubber. I would not hesitate on the AT3s, especially if you've had and liked the 2s in the past. I think the 3s are better on the ice and snow.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I finally got to see this tire in the wild. I have to say, I am not super excited about it's appearance. Mainly, how close the tread blocks are together.

North Dakota 322

Premium Member
Sorry to hijack.
Just put a set of Falken wildpeak AT3 on my chevy gas pickup, really loving them compared to the Toyos that where on there before.
Really quiet on the road and really enjoyed the fact that flooring it going around the corner resulted in no tire spin. Just hook up and go!
I am excited to try them in the winter time as i have heard great reviews from friends.
The deep tread and siping should make it perform really well in harsh weather.
(This is coming from someone who has a set of studded winter forces on rims that normally go on in the winter)

I hope to still use the winterforce around home and swap back over to the falkens for the 2,000 mile round trips out west.
Studs and 1,500 miles of dry interstate is not fun.

I do apologies about the bad pictures.

20210830_212806.jpg 20210830_212911.jpg

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
I finally got to see this tire in the wild. I have to say, I am not super excited about it's appearance. Mainly, how close the tread blocks are together.

checkout the Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT. Saw a set at the tire shop today and they look pretty sweet too. Snow rated up to a certain width.

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
Sorry to hijack.
Just put a set of Falken wildpeak AT3 on my chevy gas pickup, really loving them compared to the Toyos that where on there before.
Really quiet on the road and really enjoyed the fact that flooring it going around the corner resulted in no tire spin. Just hook up and go!
I am excited to try them in the winter time as i have heard great reviews from friends.
The deep tread and siping should make it perform really well in harsh weather.
(This is coming from someone who has a set of studded winter forces on rims that normally go on in the winter)

I hope to still use the winterforce around home and swap back over to the falkens for the 2,000 mile round trips out west.
Studs and 1,500 miles of dry interstate is not fun.

I do apologies about the bad pictures.
I have 40k on those tires mostly towing. Still a bunch of life left in them.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
After many years and many tires I have moved to Ice tires in the winter and summer long life tires for the rest of the year. The realization is that you are not likely to die if you get stuck but there is a good chance if you skid off a highway at 100+ kms/hr. The Nokian Hakkapeliita studded tires have been a real eye opener. I am surprised how long they last and how good the traction is while being almost silent and that is a big feat for studded tires. They will be going on for the 3rd year this Fall and I drive my Ram 3500 about 700 kms every week through the mountains. For the summer I am getting Michelin Defender LTX M/S installed today. Sure they call them a 3 season tire but the reason I am going with them is their exceptional long life and quiet ride. I have Toyo AT Extremes coming off and they have been good only they are once again out of balance and worn pretty bad.

Hmmm... I got less than 20k out of my hakkapeliitas before they were more or less shot. Thought they were loud. Traction was phenomenal in cold snow, but left a lot to be desired in wet heavy snow. Not worth the coin IMO.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
After not being able to find a set of these anywhere in Canada, I ordered them from the US. Discount Tire has a flash sale on until tomorrow if anyone is in the market. $110 off a set of 4.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I managed to find a set of AT2s in the size I need, although I have to bring them up from the USA. 6 month minimum backorder inCanada....

Not a cheap process, but it's better than wrecking the truck or a trip!

Premium Features