• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

green water?

T

Tony skagen

Dec 17, 2010
I was following the groomer down the hill from the cabin Saturday evening. It was whooped and parking was a mess!!!

A
Oct 7, 2012
I was following the groomer down the hill from the cabin Saturday evening. It was whooped and parking was a mess!!!

Mess was an understatement when we left Saturday afternoon, turn around was full of a-holes with no passes and the parking extended to what seemed to be halfway to 410

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Put a monitored $25 fee station at the turnoff from 410. Use the $ to plow the $&@"en road and keep the people out that don't want to pay. No reason that road can't get plowed and sanded. Even if it is compact snow, Sand, not salt the dam thing. It's not the mall!!

Sent from my telephone

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
All the years my wife and I have been sledding, we have never yet made it to Greenwater to ride.

It looks great on the map and it would certainly be a lot shorter trip to the snopark for us from Olympia.

But, year after year I hear what a gaggle f--k it is on the road in and out....that right there has always kept us away.

Just sounds like a total pain in the butt, weekend after weekend.

Maybe its because of the fact its just too conveniently close to civilization or because they cant seem to maintain the Matterhorn well enough??

Is it worth the hassle, or is it exaggerated on here?

S
Nov 30, 2007
Puyallup, WA
If you can get up there early in the morning, it isn't usually too bad. But when everyone and their three-leg dog shows up around 9AM, it can be a circus. This gets compounded in the early season with a bunch of lookie-loos who drive up in their hondas and subarus to either look around or try to find a place for the kids to have a snowball fight or slide down a hill on the garbage-can lid. The problem right now is that with all the trees that were coming down last week, the contractor couldn't keep the road open all the way to the snowpark and it got closed down low to keep people safe. When I was there last Wednesday, the plow truck had actually made it to the snowpark at the top, but with the snow still coming down, the trees were still dropping all over the place. (we had to cut our way in AND out that day, had one tree fall right in front of us on the way back just below the snowpark)

Two basic rules to live by if you are going to Greenwater...
1. Get there early. (the idiots usually sleep in and don't show up until after 9AM)
2. Have chains for your truck AND trailer. (and if you have ANY doubt about needing them for the hill, stop and put them on)

H
Aug 31, 2012
BL WA
I go up extremely early on weekends and I also go during the weekdays. I usually get out of there early in the day also to miss the huge traffic on 410 with all the ski people going home. I like GW, lots of area to ride and close to home. My daughter and I are going today.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
The cluster is not exaggerated. Like said above, too many dumb arses who don't know about the hill up to the snowpark. Needs a big chains required sign at the least. And a way to stupid tax those that get stuck.
Got up there early weekend before Xmas and was stopped chaining up and a guy came down said the Matterhorn was jacked up by a couple stucks. Had to ride the almost bare road with my kids and Sno bike from down low. Then took a sled down to get the truck that evening to bring up to the top lot rather than ride the ice down to the truck and got held up by people having trouble making it down.

I'm all for getting everyone into snowmobiling, but the number of newbs who are unprepared for not only riding but even the drive up is frustrating. No one is doing it on purpose but the message needs to get out that it's not an all weather road.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
If you can get up there early in the morning, it isn't usually too bad. But when everyone and their three-leg dog shows up around 9AM, it can be a circus. This gets compounded in the early season with a bunch of lookie-loos who drive up in their hondas and subarus to either look around or try to find a place for the kids to have a snowball fight or slide down a hill on the garbage-can lid. The problem right now is that with all the trees that were coming down last week, the contractor couldn't keep the road open all the way to the snowpark and it got closed down low to keep people safe. When I was there last Wednesday, the plow truck had actually made it to the snowpark at the top, but with the snow still coming down, the trees were still dropping all over the place. (we had to cut our way in AND out that day, had one tree fall right in front of us on the way back just below the snowpark)

Two basic rules to live by if you are going to Greenwater...
1. Get there early. (the idiots usually sleep in and don't show up until after 9AM)
2. Have chains for your truck AND trailer. (and if you have ANY doubt about needing them for the hill, stop and put them on)

I agree with almost all of this except that the contractor was probably a week late in preparation. Last week when the lower gate was shut after the 1st storm rolled through, the trees were already starting to need help. As well it needed a plow. The contractor needed to get a handle on it the day/night before and that road would have been useful for a "truck". The forest service closed the gate as I got there and said there were trucks stuck. There wasn't yet, he meant. They knew the masses of garbage can lid riders were coming. Then storm 2 rolls through and makes an even bigger problem. Next, they will work real hard getting that thing plowed down to asphalt for the lid riders to "feel" safe. The thaw/freeze cycle starts, creating an ice rink on the steep downhill side that has a couple sharp turns. And the same problem happens again with gates getting closed.

I just think it can be better managed to treat it like the road it is. It's not a highway. I like it up there but weekdays only for me. And sometimes I have to ride twice as far to get up top.

Sent from my telephone

Last edited:
D

Duvall Dean

Nov 8, 2003
Wenatchee, Wa.
Parking is NEVER a problem on the east side of state
Feel sorry for the rush hour conditions you guys put up with just to ride the whoops
The Colockum just up the hill from my house near Mission Ridge is and was awesome

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
Parking is NEVER a problem on the east side of state
Feel sorry for the rush hour conditions you guys put up with just to ride the whoops
The Colockum just up the hill from my house near Mission Ridge is and was awesome

Yeah, the more I read this thread the more convinced I am that we're doing the right thing heading over to Lake Wenatchee over the upcoming long weekend!

Same problems, different year.

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
Yeah, the more I read this thread the more convinced I am that we're doing the right thing heading over to Lake Wenatchee over the upcoming long weekend!

Same problems, different year.

Aren't you all glad that you pay double for the same service as all the other years

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
Aren't you all glad that you pay double for the same service as all the other years

It really is becoming more and more aggravating year after year honestly.

Rarely see an improvement.

However, on a positive note, I have noticed the fella that's grooming the Mt Adams area is actually giving updates this year. This is the first time in YEARS that anyone from NW Groomers has updated the site and made any attempt at keeping people in the loop on conditions/updates. Kudos to that young man!

Premium Features