• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fuel tank filler neck cracked 2010 M8

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Just repaired mine for $0. Found some HDPE from a spray bottle sitting around the house, cut it up into thin strips, and applied it just like you would when welding metal. Made sure to get penetration into the original plastic, which you could see pretty easily because the spray bottle HDPE is an opaque/whitish color that turns clear when you melt it...so you could see it and the original plastic pretty well. Used my soldering iron with flat tip...just had to be careful not to over-melt or sink the solder tip in. Mine was cracked about 3/4 the way around...glad I checked it. Solid now...really pulled on it to make sure it's strong...it is.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
A few years ago I had a bright idea of how to repair some PP plastic on my dirt bike.

I used a hot melt glue gun and removed the glue stick. I cut some PP plastic into small strips which would fit into the glue gun. Then u used the glue stick to press the PP strips in far enough to allow room for more PP strips. Repeated process until the melted PP started coming out of the gun and was pretty pure looking.

What I learned was the PP became brittle after it cured so it didn’t work, but, I wonder if hdpe would work on a tank if applied wi this method.

F
Jan 3, 2008
Just repaired mine for $0. Found some HDPE from a spray bottle sitting around the house, cut it up into thin strips, and applied it just like you would when welding metal. Made sure to get penetration into the original plastic, which you could see pretty easily because the spray bottle HDPE is an opaque/whitish color that turns clear when you melt it...so you could see it and the original plastic pretty well. Used my soldering iron with flat tip...just had to be careful not to over-melt or sink the solder tip in. Mine was cracked about 3/4 the way around...glad I checked it. Solid now...really pulled on it to make sure it's strong...it is.
Hey Jim, How did the plastic welding repair hold up. I also found some HDPE plastic that I was going to use as filler rod to fix my M8. I wanted to confirm the material the tank was made out of so I looked for the recycle symbol on the tank. All I could find was a "COEX" marking. In my research that means it is two types of plastics layered together but I couldn't find out what two types of plasic it was. Anyways if HDPE filler material worked for you I will also use the same. Did you use any metal reinforcing mesh that comes with the plastic welding kits, or any "staples"?

Premium Features