• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

fuel filter plugging up

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Fuel filter seems to keep plugging up. Put a new one in last April with a new fuel pump as it went bad. Had the sled start hitting det periodically for what seemed like no reason. After checking other things I decided to change fuel filter again. This time decided to do Mountainhorse conversion to the wix...tired of paying 120 a whack. When I removed the old filter you could hardly blow through it. I cut it open and it seemed like it as all plugged up with wax. Any ideas why it would be waxing up like that? I use only non ethanol premium, mix 1 ounce oil per gallon of redline and mix in 1 ounce Lucas octane boost. Oil and Lucas was recommendation of SLP when I did the stage 4 kit two years ago.

YOOPERREV

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Negaunee, Mi
My guess is the wax is separating from the oil like a diesel does in cold temps, some natural oils/fuels have a high amount of Parifin wax in their mix. Once the wax has plugged the filter it is very hard to liquify it. Is it stored in very cold areas?

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
My guess is the wax is separating from the oil like a diesel does in cold temps, some natural oils/fuels have a high amount of Parifin wax in their mix. Once the wax has plugged the filter it is very hard to liquify it. Is it stored in very cold areas?

Kept in the heated garage at times to thaw out when returning but kept in the trailer outside at times as well.

Premium Features