• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

FIRST-EVER VIDEO CALL ON X USING STARLINK

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
paceX: "First video call on X completed through Starlink
Direct to Cell satellites from unmodified mobile phones!
We’re excited to go live with T-Mobile later this year."
Source: X, Reuters

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Hmm... I was thinking of switching from T-mobile because they've been a pain in the ass lately. This would come in handy for both work and play for me.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I'm curious to see what the charges will be for using the satellite link. I'm sure it's going to be a premium roaming charge, but could be well worth it when needed.
If I could have that as my Emergency FAILSAFE I would be happy to pay a silly Emergency Use Charge!!
$50 or even $100 per use for a legit life or death emergency would be FINE by me.

moab11

Lifetime Membership
Feb 24, 2011
Great White North
If I could have that as my Emergency FAILSAFE I would be happy to pay a silly Emergency Use Charge!!
$50 or even $100 per use for a legit life or death emergency would be FINE by me.
Agreed, and as with everything, it will be quite expensive to start, then prices will slowly come down.
Does sound like bandwidth is limited at 7mb/s per Cell(starlink cell, not cell phone). That means anyone within a ~7mile radius will be sharing that bandwidth.
Will be fine for text messages and limited voice calls, but not much else.

I am still amazed that they are able to get this to work with common cell phones at all, the technology in the satellites to pick up the signals is baffling.

Premium Features