• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Finished Silber install : high idle problems

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
When the controller is hooked up and its idling high it will surge up and down a few hundred rpm's and always be higher than 2700rpms. I don't know what this means though

Didnt do it before the install. Seems to fix once the controller is unhooked... hmmmm sounds like a controller to me. That wouldnt suprise me one bit..

S

Silber

Nov 26, 2007
I got to ride the sled this weekend. Rode it for 2 days, prob 80 miles. No change in the idle situation. The sled ripped hard and ran fine otherwise.
I'd say about 20% of the time it idles normal, the other 80% it idles anywhere from 2600rpm's to 3900rpm's.
Could it be a TPS issue? Is there anyway of checking the tps without the digital wrench?
One other issue, the reverse doesn't work(even when its idling normal). I have to check though, maybe I forgot to plug it in????

Had a 2011 Assault last season that I had to adjust the tps everyride to get it to idle and reverse to work. After 4 tps sensors I finally got a good one.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Mine did this too, I just adjusted it down and have been fighting it being too low or high for a couple days now. Then this morning I started it, idiled around 1200-1300 rpm and would die if I wasn't giving it throttle. Finally it died on the trailer and still nothing. Gonna try out the ilde adjustment in the morning, As well call Justin

SSABMUD

Lifetime Membership
Oct 18, 2010
Red Deer, Alberta
Mine is doing the same thing as Matt's exactly. We have both done the exact same things to find it and it concerns me. Last year I did bump my TPS and had to reset it. On Matt's I would bet that it is simply idling too high for reverse to work. One thing I thought of this morning at my daily preday meeting place, was that the oil pump is powered by the ECU power wire. Could there be too much voltage draw? I am going to hook it up to the hood and see what happens. I am convinced I do not have an air leak. One full can of brake cleaner said so.

T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
Mine is doing the same thing as Matt's exactly. We have both done the exact same things to find it and it concerns me. Last year I did bump my TPS and had to reset it. On Matt's I would bet that it is simply idling too high for reverse to work. One thing I thought of this morning at my daily preday meeting place, was that the oil pump is powered by the ECU power wire. Could there be too much voltage draw? I am going to hook it up to the hood and see what happens. I am convinced I do not have an air leak. One full can of brake cleaner said so.

My reverse doesn't work when it's idling NORMAL either.
Let me know how hooking the oil pump to the hood works out. For that matter you could prob even try just unhooking it from the ecu pwer wire by the clutch for 5 sec to test out your theory. Nothing bad will happen if the turbo is without oil at idle for 5 sec.
Right now I'm leaning towards the TPS. I'm gonna build a tester today to check it out. After that, I'll call Silber for ideas.
The other thought is fuel pressure(I have to give props to this idea to my buddy "the breeze") Maybe the fp is inconsistant and causing this to happen.
SSABMUD and myself are not the only ones having this exact issue. I've have a few others PM my now. Something is wrong.
I as well have sprayed A LOT of starting fluid trying to find a leak,nothing. IMHO with the design of the billet boot and air box its almost impossible to have a leak. It's ALMOST idiot proof.

Last edited:

SSABMUD

Lifetime Membership
Oct 18, 2010
Red Deer, Alberta
My reverse doesn't work when it's idling NORMAL either.
Let me know how hooking the oil pump to the hood works out. For that matter you could prob even try just unhooking it from the ecu pwer wire by the clutch for 5 sec to test out your theory. Nothing bad will happen if the turbo is without oil at idle for 5 sec.
Right now I'm leaning towards the TPS. I'm gonna build a tester today to check it out. After that, I'll call Silber for ideas.
The other thought is fuel pressure(I have to give props to this idea to my buddy "the breeze") Maybe the fp is inconsistant and causing this to happen.
SSABMUD and myself are not the only ones having this exact issue. I've have a few others PM my now. Something is wrong.
I as well have sprayed A LOT of starting fluid trying to find a leak,nothing. IMHO with the design of the billet boot and air box its almost impossible to have a leak. It's ALMOST idiot proof.
Something is wrong for sure. My sled ran perfect for the first four hours prior to the kit. I am not home until tonight but when I get there I am going to try unplugging the oil pump and then tape up the blow off valve. These two things will rule out voltage and an air leak. If nothing changes, it is off to the dealer to check the TPS.

H

Holomis International

Nov 29, 2008
www.holomis.com
Hey Guys

I had a dragon Turbo last year with the Silber kit on it and had the exact same problem. It would idle normal sometimes but most of the time it was high idle. So I did the same thing you guys have done, I checked TPS, I disconnected and re connected the box controller, I checked for air leaks, I checked throttle cable, I tried fuel pressure regulator. In the end I found out it was a leaking TB boot, changed it out and worked great all year.

Thanks

Jeff

S

Silber

Nov 26, 2007
Just installed 3 kits this weekend that are not experiencing any idle issues?

If they dont go into reverse more than likely its tps issue.

S

Silber

Nov 26, 2007
Just took some footage going to post a video later of a freshly installed turbo kit, perfect idle. First test ride of the sled in dirt.

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
I don't think anyone is inferring that all the Pro's with Silber kits have idle issues. However, I spent the last few days around one that does. No one is blaming it on the kit at this point.

Fixing the issue is whats pertinent. I have no doubt that there are many installs that are functioning and idling properly.

I got to ride TurboMatt's sled this past weekend, and I was VERY impressed with the power and response, but the high idle is a real head scratcher.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
this may sound dumb but have you backed off the throttle blades a tad ? I know on the dragons its a very sensitive adjustment, just a small turn affects idle quite a bit. just something to try. Couple d8 4cfi motors we did had to be turned down a tad

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
lets help him solve his problem not talk about how yours dosent do that.
I hate when i have a problem and people let me know theres dosent do that...

Maybe something happend when you pulled the throttle bodys off? and when you put them back on it wasnt the same?

i believe there white paint on the tps.. is that inline?

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
Maybe pull the kit off and go through step by step and ensure that each step is right. Then you could also put it back to stock and see if the problem is still there.

When your excited and in a rush sometimes its easy to miss something. Its alot of work but it may save you a ton of headaches.

Did you ever check the 4 hoses coming off the throttle boot? What about the direction of the solenoid?

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
hey boston did the guage deal come with the kit? if not who did you buy it from? thanks.

well lets look at causes of high idle

1...vacume leak, even the smallest
2....butterflys for some reason slightly open (pull twards closed position when running, see if its a change
3..tps off, loosen and move a tad each way..watch airfuel and idle
4..mixture going wacky due to tps adjustment/throttle
strange voltage spike/drop??
5..timing off (pretty much impossible)

I would start by unhookin the throttle cable and mess with the butterflys see if it change at all, then the same deal with tps. Watch mixture.
i hate to say it but the bosch tps is pretty much a bullitproof unit been around for quite a while. but you never know

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
hey boston did the guage deal come with the kit? if not who did you buy it from? thanks.

Not part of the kit but we install them with our customers kits. Makes is super easy to see and we make plates for the controller box as well to keep the off the console.

IMAG0056.jpg

We sell the gauge lifters if your interested. They are made by Madsigntist on SW.

Premium Features