• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

FC450 or YZ450FX - help me make a decision

B
Dec 17, 2015
I currently have a 450 sx with a 2015 kit, but the girlfriend pretty much adopted that bike now so I am buying myself a brand new set-up. I already have bought a 2016 TS kit with TSS, but I am going back forth on the decision of what bike to buy.

The local shop (who I would like to continue to support since they have been excellent to deal with) has either a FC450 or a YZ450FX, both 2016 that I would be choosing between. I was leaning towards the YZ450FX, but a buddy I know that has snowbiked a lot more than I have said the wide range transmission bikes are not nearly as good as the motocross bikes since you can't keep it in the sweet spot of the powerband and he said I would absolutely regret getting the FX. Currently trying to figure out if he is being dramatic or if it is true.

I generally ride deep powder (SE BC and SW Alberta) in the mountains.

I have read through the topic on the YZ450FX, but I haven't seen anyone with actual experience on it, so if anyone has actual experience with both bikes (or close equivalents) I would appreciate some input.

Some more details:
- This bike will be a summer bike as well. My current bike is a 2011 YZ450F (which I am selling), so I don't mind riding a motocross bike in the summer so I think I would be okay with either in the summer.
- The FC450 is $1200 CDN more, and also does not come with a skidplate or an upgraded stator, so the FC450 would be closer to $1700 more.
- The FC450 is 20 pounds lighter (262 for the FX and 243 for the FC)
- Main reason behind the change from my current yz450F is electric start
- I don't want to compare the FX straight across to the WR or the XCW since those bikes have very different engine tuning

Basically I am trying to figure out if being 20 lbs lighter and having the close range transmission is worth an extra $1700. If anyone has any input they can add to swing my decision either way, I would appreciate it.

B
Dec 17, 2015
I do a mix of woods/trails and single track in the summer, as well as sometime open lake beds/sand. I have found the yz450f good in the summer so I think the FC 450 will be similar. More worried about the winter performance since I think I would be happy with either in summer.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Go FX My vote -- eying one up myself I actually like the wide ratio transmission (=speed) with the higher rev limit and power of the FX this baby will rock. Set the ski up with triple carbides with the concave track this baby should rail even on the trail. How can you beat yamaha reliability and suspension. The power tuner is my favourite tool -- dial this baby right to your liking in the dirt.

G
Dec 20, 2007
Three Forks, MT
I think the FX is going to be way better in the dirt and the FC would be a little better in the snow.

The close ratio is better for the snow but there is no doubt the wide ratio would be better for single track.

The Yamaha motor does like to rev and can probably work fine with the wide ratio.

For less money and a way better trail bike I would pick the FX.

For the price difference you can get some lightweight parts like battery and exhaust.

M
Jan 14, 2004
From a reliability/durability standpoint its pretty tough to beat a Yamaha. You can just keep bagging on them and they just keep going. The FX should have enough power to pull the gearing of the tranny. You can always fine tune your TS kits gearing so you can get the bike to hold third while climbing. 18 inch back wheel and a real stator for summer as well. 1500 bucks is 1500 bucks.

M5

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
I was in same boat as you wasn't sure about the wide ratio. I been running the close ratio Yz few seasons on snow an have had both orange an blue bikes can't beat either for reliability for Mx etc what swayed me to blue was alot of my parts off old bike fit up to the new fx and the price like you say was close to $1500 for orange/white I found a 15 xc-f leftover for good price but then need the stator and all the exta add ons .. Just finished bike yesterday off to revy :) I'll have some feedback after the weekend

yamaha fx.JPG Yamaha 450fx.JPG

Last edited:
G
Mar 16, 2013
I would be sticking with the yz450f personally. I think they make the best snow bike in stock form. High rev = faster track speed = better climbing :) I came off a 2014 Husaberg 501 last year to a 2014 yamaha yz450f this year and 1 trip in I aum already loving this bike. The close ratio trans imo is the only way to go, u r able to maintain higher rpms between shifts unlike wide ratio trans. I thought I was going to miss the electric start.......nope no big deal. I trail rode the yamaha this summer to do the break the motor in and it was a beast on wheels. It worked very well as trail bike.

B
Dec 17, 2015
Thank you for the comments, I decided to go with the YZ450FX. I will report back once I get everything up and running and have a chance to compare the YZ to the SX.

S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
Thank you for the comments, I decided to go with the YZ450FX. I will report back once I get everything up and running and have a chance to compare the YZ to the SX.

I would swap out first and second gears with the yz450f. Or do some kind of change there for the snow, and maybe even dirt keep a lower first but the yz 2nd.

I think the higher speed 5th would be nice, but on my bike that has a really close ratio I was even getting into 5th in the waist deep stuff at times.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
I think you made a good call. Right now that bike is at the top of my list. It sounds like for your kind of riding in the summer it will be perfect. In the winter you will have a higher top speed on the trail. If you start to bog in 3rd just hit the nitrous button!

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah

Sooo...how'd it work out for ya last winter?

B
Dec 17, 2015
Sooo...how'd it work out for ya last winter?

Very happy with the decision to go with the YZ450FX so far, still have two of them running strong, one with a yeti and one with a timbersled. The tunability of these bikes is excellent, and I have no problem running one of the bikes in the summer with a completely different tune for tight single track, and an aggressive lean tune for the snow.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
Nice

Glad to hear it. I am absolutely loving mine so far. Today was my 11th ride of the season and I have been having an absolute blast!

Premium Features