• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

E-tec high RPM miss ?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Buddy has a mint 2012 E-tec X.

We were out on the weekend and it developed an intermittent miss most noticeable at high RPM.

When all was normal it was hitting 7900 like a champ and sounded nice and clean. Idle was fine, part-throttle putting around seemed fine.

But then sometimes at full (or near full) throttle, it would develop a miss that would somewhat feel and sound like hitting a rev-limiter - but at 7000RPM. No warning lights on dash.

Anyone run in to something similar? How long do plugs or fuel filters typically last on these things? It has somewhere between 1000 and 1500 miles IIRC.

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Same exact machine and same problem. The plugs are good for 5-6000 miles is what the manual says. I called my dealer and they said it maybe the rav valve update, but said it was strange that it only did it one day sledding. Last time up it didn't do it. The day it happened to me it was pretty deep snow so I thought it had something to do with the intake clogging up. Anyways still need to get the update done but I guess I will have to wait till next year to see if it happens again. Let me know what you find out.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Thanks for the reply, I'll tell him to check about the update. That's roughly the RPM the power valves should open I would assume?

The air intake was clear and snow not particularly deep.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
It can hit a "rate of rpm" limiter at any rpm....if rpm increases too quickly and it THINKS it might overrev it will hesitate.
Causes...water getting on clutch, inadequate clutch loading, sudden loss of traction, blown belt. It is a safety feature to prevent overrev if a belt suddenly blows under throttle. It is more sensitive on some sleds than others...'11's were real bad and it seems it has gotten better every year.
Some pipes and silencers can also cause a hesitation.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Thanks Brew - at a glance I don't think it had any of those issues outstanding....belt looked good, not a "snow on the hood" kinda day, not icey, etc. When it would run full RPM it seemed to be at roughly the correct RPM - and clutching is stock AFAIK. It DOES have an aftermarket can and it was probably the warmest day he has had it out since purchasing....maybe if he has the stock can it would be worth a try?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
If it happens again, first click down a notch or 2on the primary and see if it goes away....obviously peak rpm will be lower, but this will tell him if it as "load" related. It often is.
If not, then try stock silencer.

M
Nov 5, 2014
Ottawa, On
I had this happen the last ride of the year. Snow was deep in some places, and not in others, and was heavy and sticky. I moved the clickers, when I was playing in the deeper heavy stuff, and then later was and doing some lake drags with the guys I was noticing this same exact symptom, which I believe was due to adjusting the clickers, allowing the engine to just slightly over rev.

Premium Features