• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dog barking.............

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Who has neighbors with dogs that bark?

How much is acceptable?

Are there times of day when it's no big deal?

At what time does it become not cool? Supper time & later? Before 7 AM?

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
whenever you don't want to hear barking dogs.

If my neighbors were doing that I'd give them a taste of their own medicine. Get a good stereo system, put it as close to their house as you can inside your own home and unleash it on them. I'd recommend doing this while your on vacation so it doesn't bother you.

If they complain say that your using the music to drown out the sound of their yappy dogs!

Last edited:

mold

Lifetime Membership
Nov 17, 2009
Lead, SD & Idaho Falls, ID
I have found that there is a direct correlation between the offensiveness of the dog and that of the owner. In my humble opinion, if a dog does more than a short burst of barking if startled, it is too much and unacceptable.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
I have found that there is a direct correlation between the offensiveness of the dog and that of the owner. In my humble opinion, if a dog does more than a short burst of barking if startled, it is too much and unacceptable.

we have seen your gun room...bs on your so called humble opinion....a dog wouldn;t sniff his arse within 50 miles of you...

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Our last neighbor had 4 dogs that barked any time I would walk out the side door to the point that if the fence wasn't there you would wonder what would happen. I put several 4'x8' sheets of plywood against the fence so they couldn't see me coming out the door... that helped, but the second I made a noise or let the door slam it was yap yap yap. I finally got so sick of it I just hit the panic alarm button on my truck :eek: and then walked back inside the house for about 3-5 minutes.... It wasn't the nicest thing to do I admit, but sometimes you just can't help yourself, they soon moved out and it has been peace and quiet ever since, LOL:face-icon-small-hap

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Im glad I live far enough away from my neighbors that I dont have to deal with it. barking dogs piss me off and I wouldnt put up with it very long at any point in the day.

before 7 am and after 9PM definetly not acceptable. put them in the house If you cant keep them quite . Most towns have ordiances against it. between those hours its not usually against any law except that it make you a lousy neighbor.

R

rmkMatt

Sep 14, 2010
Wyoming
No neighbors here, so if my dog is barking it means someone or something is near my house. If I lived in town I would go crazy if my neighbors dog barked at all. I would go crazy for lots of reasons if I lived in town though.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
We have minimum of 5 acre lots.

My dogs bark at passers by...no snarling or aggresiveness...just bark.

They don't bark just because the neighbor dogs are barking...they bark at ghosts in the night. (deer, skunks,mtn lios, etc) It's annoying as hell. I stick my head out the door, hollar at them...and then they are usually quiet the rest of the night.

Last edited:

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
Maybe just talk to the neighbor about it??? I don't think it matter what time of day...if it goes on for more than a few minutes more than a few times a day it would driver me crazy....and I have 12 Siberians! They only make noise when being fed....and most are debarked as a courtesy to our neighbors. Debarking is not very expensive and doesn't harm the dog in any way when done correctly.

mold

Lifetime Membership
Nov 17, 2009
Lead, SD & Idaho Falls, ID
Maybe just talk to the neighbor about it??? I don't think it matter what time of day...if it goes on for more than a few minutes more than a few times a day it would driver me crazy....and I have 12 Siberians! They only make noise when being fed....and most are debarked as a courtesy to our neighbors. Debarking is not very expensive and doesn't harm the dog in any way when done correctly.

I would be willing to cover the expense of debarking a couple of the individuals that frequent this site.

S

skidoorulz

Nov 21, 2007
Billings Montana
If you have neighbors it is never acceptable unless the neighbors are outside of earshot. Put the dogs in the house or debark them or buy shock collars.

Minten

Lifetime Membership
Nov 6, 2010
Bozeman, Montana
Living in my lovely neighborhood tightly packed with 50 other lots it's a bit noisy because quite a few people have moved out (can't make payments.) Almost all of the new people actually have dogs and anytime you go outside they run and bark at you. There's also the people that let their dog outside to roam, in the street, no fence all over on the weekends. One shot from a pellet gun will scatter them (just don't hit them!)

The dogs here though are very territorial and when they bark at me I just whistle and bark back... Is that weird?

xrated

Lifetime Membership
Jul 20, 2004
Plainview, MN
Im glad I live far enough away from my neighbors that I dont have to deal with it. barking dogs piss me off and I wouldnt put up with it very long at any point in the day.

before 7 am and after 9PM definetly not acceptable. put them in the house If you cant keep them quite . Most towns have ordiances against it. between those hours its not usually against any law except that it make you a lousy neighbor.

What he said.

My new neighbors leave the mutt outside and he barks and whines. This winter I said nothing since they were new. So far I have been tolerant, but we will see how long it lasts when I am laid up at home for 6 weeks this summer after surgery and the pain meds are used up.

A

anziconda

Dec 10, 2007
Just ripped my neighbor last night!! His mutt started barking at 6:00 am yesterday and when I got home at 9:30 he was at it again. There was another neighbor knocking on his door when I got there, lol...problem seems to be solved now, not a peep so far this morning!

Z
Nov 26, 2007
Sioux Falls, SD
My thought is outside of an isolated bark now and then, barking any time of the day is not acceptable. I have owned dogs while living in town and felt like an a** even when my dogs barked at unordinary things (fire trucks, hot air balloons, ect). A shock collar and a "shut the f*** up!" out the window have cured all my barking problems. Unless someone is breaking into my house or walking around in my back yard in the middle of the night, I shouldn’t hear my dog.

I'd let the owners know that it’s gotten out of hand, give them a chance to address the problem. If they don't after a week or so remind them they have 2 more days to solve the problem and the cops will be called next. After a few $90 (around here anyway) tickets they should get the picture. It’s always unfortunate when you have to involve the police with matters like this but if your neighbor is rude enough to not care that their dogs barking is disturbing your peaces, then they are most likely a neighbor to not have on your favorite neighbor list to begin with.

I have sorta a similar problem; we have a cat that likes to tour the neighborhood. We recently moved and only know our direct neighbors but none of them know who the cat belongs to either. They also have the same complaint, the SOB chits whenever, wherever. I stepped in one of its bombs mowing the lawn this weekend and also noticed a few nuggets in our garden beds and the one that pi**es me off the most, our kids sandbox. The last thing I want to do is see Sally and Tommy putting up “have you seen whiskers” posters, but if I can’t find the owners that might be what will happen. We had a few cats go missing when I was growing up and I turned out just fine.

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
Oh, we can one-up that story. There is a cat that meows ridiculously loud next to my window. One of the neighbors has a cat and that's how they know to let it in is when it howls. Its an eerie sound too! Especially when its muffled and you just wake up. The first time I heard it I was scared chitless it honestly sounded like an infant and it creeped me out so much I didn't even want to open my blinds. Creepy things like that get to me wont lie.

Premium Features