• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

detination, how can you tell when its happening

tree climber

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
sioux falls sd
not to try and pick a fight, BUT, IMO, thats not the issue with the missreading at all..

oxygen sensors just sense the amount of oxygen in system, in our case, the exhaust, they have no idea about fuel, they cant sense it. what happens is, you have a rich missfire, its so rich it wont burn. now you have raw fuel and at the same time pure oxygen running throught the exhaust.. thats whats goin on, normally the oxygen is consumed in the combustion reaction, now its just passing throught your motor.. nothing happening to it.

THATS IT! now i remember. thank you., thats what i was told last season

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
not to try and pick a fight, BUT, IMO, thats not the issue with the missreading at all..

oxygen sensors just sense the amount of oxygen in system, in our case, the exhaust, they have no idea about fuel, they cant sense it. what happens is, you have a rich missfire, its so rich it wont burn. now you have raw fuel and at the same time pure oxygen running through the exhaust.. thats whats goin on, normally the oxygen is consumed in the combustion reaction, now its just passing throught your motor.. nothing happening to it.

Me either, just trying to learn. Honestly, not trying to argue with you, just trying to logically think this through. (Mostly for my own benefit) I am also not claiming to be an expert, I just like discussing stuff like this.

What I was meant to say, or was implying, is that it senses the air/fuel ratio by the voltage being affected by the oxygen levels in the exhaust. Or in other words, they determine the air fuel ratio by sensing the oxygen. So in a way it determines the air/fuel ratio by voltage fluctuations caused by oxygen levels in the exhaust. It is assumed the engine is running so there is burnt oxygen and fuel in the exhaust, and unburnt oxygen/fuel in the exhaust also.

So let me try explaining myself better/correctly.

Optimum air/fuel mixture is like .5 volts at the probe.

So a rich condition all/or most of the oxygen is burnt causing the voltage to go up on the probe. Something like .9 volts

In a lean condition less fuel is burnt, requiring less oxygen, and the extra or left over oxygen causes the volt in the probe to go down. Something like .1 volts

Rich, is usually burnt fuel, with most or all oxygen burnt. So in a super rich condition now you have gone past that point to where the exhaust has some unburned fuel/with unburned oxygen. This, the oxygen in the exhaust, causes the voltage to go down towards .1 volts showing up as a lean condition when its really rich.

I think we just said the same thing didn't we? I know, I was wrong, I changed my post though. Thanks

Last edited:

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
indeed.. we did say the same thing, you were just talkin voltages and it didnt make any sense to me at the time, I dont think of it like that, just waht the reading is, but the reading is just a o-5v system, so yeah.. same deal.

Premium Features