• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Decent Smelling 2-stroke Oil?

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
i just stuff one of them smelly air freshener trees in my helmet.and im good to go.

L

LSB

I've been told that the Maxima Castor 927 has a tendency to separate from the fuel at freezing temps. May be true may not be true but I would not want to take the chance since there is other great oils out there that won't separate in freezing temps (Klotz Technaplate, TORCO SSO).

P.P.

I recently brought this exact problem up in another oil thread. I was interested in the good qualities of a Castor based oil, but some of the more knowledgeable people advised against it for these same reasons. It doesnt do well below 35 degrees or so.

T
Jan 25, 2008
Ok, thanks for all the replies. Spent some time on the phone and this is what I found:

Spectro oils. Very nice, professional salesman. Told me Spectro is quite neutral and would have little to no smell at all, and no smoke. He had me call Performance Northwest, one of their distributors, and speak to "Eric". He told me the same thing. Eric also told me ELF is thinking of brining out a snow specific oil that will have the righteous smell of castor. They do have it now, but it is in a hideously expensive, retro-style quart can on only a limited production basis, pretty much for collectors, but were there enough demand for it, they may swing into production.

Redline oil. Jerks. Condescending salesman told me "we don't make oil based on exhaust smell". Right. I attempted to explain I know once a certain level of quality is reached, all the oils are going to be pretty comparable and give me what I want, why can't they make one that doesn't stink? No answer.

Maxima. Very nice, professional and a sense of humour, the guy knew exactly what I was talking about, but wasn't able to comment on odor of the various Maxima oils due to so many variables. He did agree castor was the best smelling, but as has been mentioned, it will separate once temps hit +35*F. The salesman recommended their Tundra R 50% petro oil.

I did not call Blue Marble yet, and will call Blendzall tomorrow. Will keep updating.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
I use the polaris stuff in mine, kinda $ but it seems to work well and doesn't smell too bad either.

W

Wayniac

Nov 26, 2007
sunny Seattle
Blendzall Ultra

I contacted Blendzall about their castor oil. Our fellow forum user OregunRMK has been using it the past 2 years with no problems or VES valve sticking. This is the response I got back from Blendzall:

Wayne,

Ultra #455 is a pre mix and injected oil. It is castor based and works great in snowmobiles.

It was tested in Canada at -20. It has a rust inhibitor. Be sure to clean you tank out before

adding castor or any other oil to your old oil. NEVER mix any oils together. If you have any

questions, please e-mail.

So, I ordered a few gallons to try out. I'll be switching our sleds from Polaris VES gold. I found a great deal on the oil here: http://www.onoffroad.com/Merchant2/...Code=ULTRA&Category_Code=BLENDZALL-LUBRICANTS

Wayne

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Dumonde... hands down!!
Redline... very close 2nd!
Doo syn stinks.. I have to ride in the rear because of the headaches

T
Jan 25, 2008
Yup, called Blendzall and they told me to go with the 455. S I called Performance Northwest and ordered two gallons of Spectro SynSno and two gallons of the 455 castor. Can't wait 'till they get here.

Feb 2, 2008
Just mix up about a 1/4 tank of vp 110 race fuel with your pump gas. Or if you can afford it and you run a high comp motor run a full tank! Cant beat the smell of this stuff. You and your buddies will be huffing exhaust fumes non stop! You will also know your running a safe octaine # (you get bogus octaine levels at the pump). :beer;

If you have ever been to a race or a hill climb event the sweet smell in the air is not a certin brand of oil it's the race gas.

Last edited:
Premium Features