• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DD help!!!!....extreme vibration after i installed BDX 55/65

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
Well I replaced several parts in my Diamond Drive (all BDX parts) because it got chewed up last weekend, I also geared down to a 55/45 from a stock 63/57…I know it’s a big gear ratio reduction, but I want that low end grunt for the trees and the turbo is more then plenty on the hills

Vibration – I also noticed an extreme vibration from idle and at any RPM level…im not sure this vibration would be from the brass washer issue in the pic below, all bearings look to be bottomed out…so I don’t know where the vibs are coming from, the vib issue is why I tore the DD down after only one ride….

One brass washer that is coming apart…what should I do to remedy this?
anotherDD2.jpg

Complete DD breakdown, I staged the parts from right to left as disassembled, this will show the order i had things put together….did I do something wrong? Note – this order of parts is what was suggested over the phone from BDX….the on-line micro fiche does not show enough…does anyone see anything I did wrong???
anotherDD.jpg

BD-Xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Give us a call tomorrow...

Mike
BDX

C
Dec 15, 2008
Went through 2 DD in less than 600 miles because of the brass shim in the planetary gears. Need to get rid of the reverse set up and put a Diamond Lite Drive in with lower gears. I don't know where you got 55/45 gears from? You mean 55/65? Anyways get rid of the stock crap! Have 230hp going to a BDX Lite Drive with 54/66 and have had no problems.

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
Probably not your problem but an FYI.
I assume you did not pull the drivers?
I was doing a track swap over the weekend... Driver shaft was a pita to remove.
The double bearings in the brake caliper housing had moisture in them... After it sat, the bearings seized... I freed them up but didn't want to chance it, so I ordered new ones.
Once moisture gets in there it is trapped and has no where to go.

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
Yes its a 55/65, decided to disassemble the bad planetary gearset to see who this thing is put together, well the pin in each roller gear (5 of them) is just tapped in and hit with a 4 prong pin of some kind that crimps each end. Also, both sides of this roller gear have two washers…one is simple metal and the other is the problematic copper washer/spacer thingy. I simply removed a good copper washer form the bad gearset and used it on my newer gearset. I had to very careful to not punch the center pin too far, as the pin bearings will also drop out, moving this center pin half way out allowed room to remove and replace the washers…this should work fine, I hope

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
Probably not your problem but an FYI.
I assume you did not pull the drivers?
I was doing a track swap over the weekend... Driver shaft was a pita to remove.
The double bearings in the brake caliper housing had moisture in them... After it sat, the bearings seized... I freed them up but didn't want to chance it, so I ordered new ones.
Once moisture gets in there it is trapped and has no where to go.

This brings up another topic of concern for me…I had the DD out of the sled for over a week and forgot to support the DD side of the driver/shaft/track…I looked around and nothing seems to be bend, but its still in the back of my mind…im a bonehead:eek:

J

JHG

Jan 29, 2008
Elizabeth, CO/Bozeman, MT
This brings up another topic of concern for me…I had the DD out of the sled for over a week and forgot to support the DD side of the driver/shaft/track…I looked around and nothing seems to be bend, but its still in the back of my mind…im a bonehead:eek:

I did the same thing this summer and I haven't had any problems with it. It's had about 1500 miles on it since then.

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah

I don't think you will have an issue.
It is a pretty solid set up with the double bearing... My drivers were rusted to the shaft, and after only getting it to move 1/4" I called a mechanic friend at a cat dealer and he has had the same problem when removing drivers.
He and also my brother have pulled the drivers (takes a lot of beating on the shaft with a block of wood) and did not replace the bearings and have not had a failure.
I'm sure there was a LOT of side load put on the bearings when removing, and we all know side load on a bearing is not good.
I have had my track locked up before in the morning, and then wham, it comes loose... I would bet that the bearings rust, and seize... Then finally break free.
I think I could re-use mine but don't want to chance it.
I think I will pack the void between them with grease to try to keep water from penetrating... Not sure if it will help, but worth a try.

Premium Features