• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dana White goes after 'Strikefarce'

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
The gloves are off: Dana White goes after 'Strikefarce'
By Steve Cofield

Here we go again. Each time a domestic competitor has stepped up to the plate in the past the bluster has begun from Dana White. First it was Elite XC then Affliction. Each time, White would say they'll never survive, they'll go out of business. Whte also meant that it was his goal to drive them out of business. Strikeforce has been the exception. He's has always gone out of his way to be complimentary and polite about Scott Coker and his promotion. Not anymore.

Just after the press conference for UFC 101 broke up on Thursday White said, now it's on:

"They should've stayed the way they were. They want to fight me, we're gonna fight. You know how that goes and you know how that ends."

White also elaborated on what went wrong with the Fedor Emelianenko negotiations:

"If I was sitting on Fedor's lap that deal wouldn't have gotten done. We went in there to do a deal, they didn't. If you were on this [conference] call [to hear what it sounded like], it wouldn't have mattered if we flew to Russia and sat in is living room, we weren't getting a deal done that day."

White continued to smash Strikeforce, at one point calling it "Strikefarce," and saying Fedor has no one to fight.

"They're a small-time show that's trying to act big. It's a joke. It's a tiny little regional show with nobody in it. Does it make sense? It makes no sense."

This is all came together quickly. Affliction folded/merged with UFC on July 24. UFC negotiated with Fedor and M-1 Global the following week. Nothing concrete came from the negotiations and by August 3, Fedor was signed with Strikeforce.

snow_knight

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills,SD
I can fully understand stand fedor not willing to sign a contract with the UFC because of promotion litigations, however if he wants the world to know he is the best heavy weight fighter out there............. He has to be in the UFC to prove it..

C
I can fully understand stand fedor not willing to sign a contract with the UFC because of promotion litigations, however if he wants the world to know he is the best heavy weight fighter out there............. He has to be in the UFC to prove it..

I think he's being a baby, the promotion stuff is good enough for everyone else in the UFC. Maybe he doesn't want to fight the best in the world? He might be the only guy in the world that can give Lesnar a run..................gawd I hate Lesnar but he's tough. I still think they should have a super heavy weight division. I don't think Lesnars fighting skills are better than some of the guys he's beaten but he's just too big for them. He fights and walks around at around 285-290 lbs. He cut's pretty good to make the 265 limit.

Last edited:

snow_knight

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills,SD
You have to remember though.. MMA is not fedors main fighting media.. It would be no different that telling you if you want to sled that hill thats fine.. but you can ONLY sled that hill from here on out.. thats it.. nothing else.. Don't get me wrong.. I think it is a huge mistake for him.. I have no idea what he makes $$$ wise doing what he does, but can only imagine it would be greatly larger being in the UFC... Maybe he just dont care about the money.. but i think he should still step up and do it for himself and all fight fans out there.. I will agree with you on the heavyweight bump.. the problem they ran into before is with fight regulations quite a few of the guys in that upper weight can't make the requirements set forth by doctors and fighting boards, but still love the idea..

I think he's being a baby, the promotion stuff is good enough for everyone else in the UFC. Maybe he doesn't want to fight the best in the world? He might be the only guy in the world that can give Lesnar a run..................gawd I hate Lesnar but he's tough. I still think they should have a super heavy weight division. I don't think Lesnars fighting skills are better than some of the guys he's beaten but he's just too big for them. He fights and walks around at around 285-290 lbs. He cut's pretty good to make the 265 limit.

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
If Fedor was a true fighter, and really wanted to beat the best, he would have signed w/ the UFC. I haven't seen actual numbers, but I bet he was offered a sh%tload of money to come over.

Most of these guys that come over from another organization haven't been impressive...Shogun, Axe Murderer, Mirco, Henderson...who else? Hendo, imo, is the better fighter out of these, but he can't even take out Franklin?

Should be a good fight tonight!

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
If Fedor was a true fighter, and really wanted to beat the best, he would have signed w/ the UFC. I haven't seen actual numbers, but I bet he was offered a sh%tload of money to come over.

Most of these guys that come over from another organization haven't been impressive...Shogun, Axe Murderer, Mirco, Henderson...who else? Hendo, imo, is the better fighter out of these, but he can't even take out Franklin?

Should be a good fight tonight!

Some of the best fighters the UFC has and has ever had came out of Pride.

Overall, Fedor is really not adding much to his case unless he has some grand plan to own the Strikeforce heavyweight title then come over to the UFC and fight for that title as well.

SAWYER

Lifetime Membership
Jan 12, 2006
Kingston Idaho
Most of the pride boys didn't fare to well in the ufc. Maybe cause the ufc tests for roids and pride didn't?

Nov 28, 2007
Vernon

Not what I've seen since Pride was dismantled. I was expecting big things from the Pride boys and most of them didn't do well. Who are you referring to? Not trying to be a no-it-all here, I just haven't seen the pride guys do as well as expected.

I agree that some of the most exciting fighter's came from pride if you list all the guys who have fought in pride it's pretty impressive
Wanderlei beat up Chuck in pride and Liddell went on to defend his belt like 6 times and got in the hall of fame, Rampage got beat twice in Pride by Wanderlei as well
There was a comment about Hendo not even being able to beat Franklin
I dunno man, Not exactly an insult to lose to Franklin, the guy was unstopable til Sylva ate his lunch

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO

Not what I've seen since Pride was dismantled. I was expecting big things from the Pride boys and most of them didn't do well. Who are you referring to? Not trying to be a no-it-all here, I just haven't seen the pride guys do as well as expected.

Didn't liddell ond ortiz both fight in Pride at one point?

Back in early May Dana was on the Jason Ellis show talking about this and he was saying that one of Fedor's relatives is the owner/manager of Strikeforce and that they were looking for all kinds of crazy incentives, payoffs for him to fight. Typical Russian backdoor dealings is how it sounded.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Even without Fedor in UFC, there wil be a rivalry between him & Brock that
will grow & grow.
That's great, because Russia is still a horrible country, and what better way
to celebrate national animosity than having a rivalry between top fighters from
each country.

If the powers that be could dream up a scenario where these 2 could meet in
the cage, it would be HUGE!

Premium Features