• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

D8 Fix Kit from MKNTK or INDY DAN reinforced cylinders

K
Jan 15, 2009
Hear a lot of good things about the MKNKT "fix kit". Cost $595. However, I don't hear much about Indy Dans reinforced cylinders and piston kit fix.

MKNKT kit includes a base shim and custom pistons that are longer and larger in diameter too address diametrical clearances issues faced with the stock set up.

INDY DANS kit uses reinforced cylinder (have to send your core in) cylinders have a smaller diameter and utilize stock pistons. But with smaller cyl bores still address the diametrical clearance issue. This kit addresses weak cylinder skirts. $995 free shipping with pistons.

Both kits address piston slap via tight tolerances. Nice that indy dans users stockers instead of custom ones..... Incase in a pinch. Here a lot of great things about indy Dan and a lot of good posts on FIX IT. Only problem FIX KIT pistons are back ordered..... Called PMSPOLARIS today.

What is best and most durable route to take??

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Have him long rod it while your at it. You will be impressed. I think he has a build with a warranty. Better than polaris. Do you need the jug fixed?

K
Jan 15, 2009
Dan did admit there is still some piston loading issue going on and thus is a band aid. Long rodfing is the solution. However I'm not putting that kind if money into a 2009. I'm a flat lander from NY and ride high speed trail stuff ill just buy an etec 800 XRS and be done with this polaris BS.

Dan's engines are second to none! The long rod is the key to no failures as the longer rods eliminate slap and angle. We have 2 09 stage 4 dragons which Dan built and they are flawless. Plus you have a warranty that is most likely not going to be needed. Dan built and stood behind my 08 dragon turbo and it's still going today. We have also used Dan for Gen II and Edge torque masters which are bullet proof and all still running today.
All in all we have gotten over half a dozen of Indy Dan's engines and all have been spot on and run today.
Dan is not cheap, but can you beat a 3 yr no questions asked warranty?

K
Jan 15, 2009
The one I'm looking at from Dan is not a long rod motor see above . I'm not dropping $3500 on a long rod. Ill buy doo with an extended warrantee instead. Not saying dans long rod isn't worth it Judy doesn't make sense for what I do

P
Jan 2, 2013
I was in the same position did not have the $3500 to drop on a Indy Dan motor so I went with a new cylinder and the fix kit. MKNKT kit has good reviews from the people that are using them, don't hear about to many that are failing.

K
Jan 15, 2009
So instead of the long rod motor you put new stock cylinders on with MKNTK fix kit or were your cylinders the indy reinforced cylinders? There are 3 options guys let not get them confused.

MKNKT FIX KIT $595
Indy Dan reinforced cylinders that are tighter on bore tolerance with stock pistons $995
Indy Dan long rod motor $3500.

Long rod motor is not an option for me.

K
Jan 15, 2009
Ok so the big kicker. NO FIX KITS READY FOR 2 WEEKS. Indy Dans kit ready now. That said WHO IS USING DANS REINFORCED CYLINDERS AND PISTON KIT AND WHAT ARE THE RESULTS??

SOMEONE HAS THE BE RUNNING THIS KIT. Here a lot about MKNKT fix kit but not much about dans : (

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
It seems to me that dan had more options than the $3500 long rod option. I think if you find the thread and read through it, there is some cheaper options. I think the $3500 is if your motor is pretty much destroyed.

J

jeepin270

Aug 27, 2009
Maine
Dans kit, u get new refurbished cylinders that are spec. With new piston kit. I haven't ever heard anything but good about indy specialty's. I have been very happy with all his services. I would choose his over the fix kit.

T

tahoermk

Nov 26, 2007
Tahoe
Dan's cylinders are guaranteed

I grenaded my motor and went with one of Dan's long rod motors for my 09 D8. He gives a 3 yr warranty, that sold me. I am still breaking it in and right off the bat it is soooo much smoother than the stock motor. I would not hesitate to go with dan's cylinders and pistons, hell he gives ya a 3 yr warranty on the skirts. He knows these motors, and if he will warranty it, it will not fail. There is no warranty with any other kit. To me that says a lot. If you send him a running motor his long rod conversion is cheaper, call and talk to him. 651-388-9045

J

Joemt

Jan 7, 2008
Potomac Montana
2500 and 3 year for long rod is my understanding also and my motor just landed in Dan's shop. I bought a blown 2009 Dragon and I'm rebuilding from the ground up.......will be a nice sled when finished and very reasonably priced for what will be "all but new".

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
I installed a mtntk kit in my 2011 pro and have 25 hundred miles on the kit and it still sounds and runs strong, dont know why but it make more midrange than my new 13 pro and my 11 has a belt drive to line them up and the 11 spanks my 13

B
Oct 26, 2003
If the aftermarket guys have figured out how to make these things reliable why hasn't Polaris been able to figure it out?

H
Nov 21, 2012
Now I have a question about my situation and maybe somebody can lend a machete to my thicket! I have a 08 D7 155 which I grenaded, I am looking to put an 800 motor in it from an 09 assault. So are there any other options out there besides the mtntek kit, Indy Dan LRM, or stock 700? How about CPI racing or any other engine manufactures out there that could build a high horsepower engine, for example a 910cc motor cheaper then indy Dan? Pretty sure I am going to go with the mtntek kit because of the good reviews with this kit, but wanted to know if I had more options? Thanks.

Last edited:
Premium Features