• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

cover for snowbikes?

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
Anyone have pictures of the SP1 and more reports how they are holding up? I tried to fit my old TS one onto my bike with my Riot kit and it wont go over the bumper. This one looks like it will fit but hope it lasts longer than my old TS one did, it was starting to fray and get weak in a few areas after 2 trips in the back of the truck.

got an sp1 cover Monday, will put to use this weekend and see what happens. Ktm 500 with a cmx 129 kit.

SteepNdeep450

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2014
Bozeman, MT
got an sp1 cover Monday, will put to use this weekend and see what happens. Ktm 500 with a cmx 129 kit.

Just received mine in the mail, hope it holds up. Hate not having my bike covered in the winter. The old timbersled one I had didn't even last a whole trip before it started getting wear spots in it from flapping.

M
Jan 7, 2020
My daughter in law does commercial seam stress work. I have mentioned this as a potential product to her numerous times because when she builds something its bomber. We figure there's no money in it competing with offshore products.
So here is the question, how much would you pay for a cover that actually worked, lasted and had a warranty? Throw out your numbers and maybe we can get something going.
$300 sounds like a good number to me. Might pay more depending on bomber factor and fit.

Chadx

♫ In the pow again. Just can't wait to get in..
Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Bozeman, MT
Back when Yakima Tent made the heavy duty trailerable covers, I think they were a bit over $300...but that was 6+ years ago. They stopped selling to the public when they soley started making them for Timbersled. Then i think timbersled went offshore to get the price lower and/or changed design. After the polaris purchase, who knows were that left everything. Yakima may well be able to make them again; be that make a run of them (expect $400 each nowadays), or be that a one off for a bit higher price. I probably have the contact info floating around here somewhere.

If the cheap ones are shredding, it's worth paying once for quality. They will never be as cheap as the mass produced, offshore produced but good quality OEM snowmobile covers. We are still a small niche market. Skidoo probably sells more covers in a week than all snowbike covers sold in a year. Ha.

M
Jan 7, 2020
Back when Yakima Tent made the heavy duty trailerable covers, I think they were a bit over $300...but that was 6+ years ago. They stopped selling to the public when they soley started making them for Timbersled. Then i think timbersled went offshore to get the price lower and/or changed design. After the polaris purchase, who knows were that left everything. Yakima may well be able to make them again; be that make a run of them (expect $400 each nowadays), or be that a one off for a bit higher price. I probably have the contact info floating around here somewhere.

If the cheap ones are shredding, it's worth paying once for quality. They will never be as cheap as the mass produced, offshore produced but good quality OEM snowmobile covers. We are still a small niche market. Skidoo probably sells more covers in a week than all snowbike covers sold in a year. Ha.
I’m going to take some gorilla tape and a half dozen bungees and try to make this SP1 last the season. Will report back on how that’s working out.

SteepNdeep450

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2014
Bozeman, MT
I emailed these guys the other day to see if they’d consider making one. Haven’t heard back. http://dirtbagdesigns.com/product/original-dirtbag/

That thing looks like it could easily be modified by them to make a snowbike one! They'd probably have to have a decent amount of interest first.

We have a local canvas shop here I've been thinking about taking my cover in and asking them to either reinforce it or what it would cost to make a duplicate out of better materials.

I picked up the TS one for cheap but it was basically a waste of money not lasting more than half way on a trip before it started wearing a hole in it from flapping. I hope this SP1 last at least a few trips, salt is hard to get off a bike, it gets everywhere. I'd be willing to spend a bit more if there was some warranty with it that it lasts at least a year or two without the wind taking it out. Or a company that was willing to repair it even if it did start to go.

mrsnow

Premium Member
Dec 30, 2008
I know good Snomobile covers are not cheap with that in mind $200 would not be unreasonable. Now consider the damage salt/slush can do to your bike or it’s wiring and electronics not to mention uv damage. Pay now or pay later.

mrsnow

Premium Member
Dec 30, 2008
My daughter in law does commercial seam stress work. I have mentioned this as a potential product to her numerous times because when she builds something its bomber. We figure there's no money in it competing with offshore products.
So here is the question, how much would you pay for a cover that actually worked, lasted and had a warranty? Throw out your numbers and maybe we can get something going.
Name your price and take some orders You never know. ?

S
I really only used it once on a trip to Star Valley WYO (2.5 hour drive). I had the bike loaded in the back of the truck. The cover held up really well and although it did catch some air while traveling it was less than I thought it would be. I also had a friend add some loops along the bottom so that I could tie the bottom together with carabiners. So far I am really happy with it.
I"ve got several trips on my cover now and it is still holding up well. After I get the cover on, I connect the bottom in about 4 spots using loops and carabiners then I put a bungee around the body/engine/seat part of the bike. This keeps the wind from getting inside the cover. I'm still happy with it.

M
Jan 7, 2020
I"ve got several trips on my cover now and it is still holding up well. After I get the cover on, I connect the bottom in about 4 spots using loops and carabiners then I put a bungee around the body/engine/seat part of the bike. This keeps the wind from getting inside the cover. I'm still happy with it.
Hope that works. Too bad you have to jerry rig their “trailerable” cover to keep it from ripping. The other issue with SP1 is that nobody knows how to contact them and the retailers that sell the SP1 stuff won’t warranty it or let you return it for full credit. That’s been my experience. Never like buying anything from a company that doesn’t stand behind their product and has zero customer service.

cbc76am

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2016
Bothell WA
I have a buddy that's a canvas guy. Made mine and his out of sunbrella. He's got too many yachts to work on to support snowest and doesn't want the work, but I could get a template to another boat canvas guy if they want to start a winter side hustle.

moto_786

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2011
I have a buddy that's a canvas guy. Made mine and his out of sunbrella. He's got too many yachts to work on to support snowest and doesn't want the work, but I could get a template to another boat canvas guy if they want to start a winter side hustle.
I’ll take a copy of the template if you could get one

BirdmanID

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2019
Idaho falls
Couple trips with the sp1, not super impressed. Gas tank flap unzips itself, doesn’t account for tie down straps on the lower triple so I can’t get it around the engine. Ugh.

Premium Features