• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cooling Hose Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

meoget

Nov 9, 2014
Keweenaw
I am trying to put my sled back together and I am having an issue with the cooling hose that connects the reservoir to the pump. It needs to be replaced, but this part is not available anywhere.
I tried to make a hose with some 90 degree fittings, but with those on, the engine won't fit back in the sled. Does anyone have a workaround or some info on where I can get one?

M

meoget

Nov 9, 2014
Keweenaw
Welp, NAPA couldn't help me. Any other ideas? I'm kinda dead in the powder until I can resolve this.

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
efi4.jpg

this hose?

M

meoget

Nov 9, 2014
Keweenaw
That's the hose. I tried ordering from multiple online sources, and they email back saying that part is unavailable. I've tried polarispartshouse, gearhead, local dealer etc.
I can't seem to find a unicoil locally, although, I suspect that a unicoil may take up too much space. I mean, there is less than enough room when installing the engine haha.

M

meoget

Nov 9, 2014
Keweenaw
You know, that is the same hose, but it is shaped differently on my sled (06). The same for the hose on EBay, it is not shaped the same.

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
wild! must be shaped differently to clear your extra injector and fuel rail

Polaris part number for your hose is
Hose, Coolant Bottle/Engine

Going to have to call around try sled salvage yards first?

http://www.hudons.com/?gclid=CP2tzM-_wcMCFQytaQodCIkAEg

http://www.snowmobilesalvageyard.com/

http://www.allpowersportsracing.com/usedsnowmobileparts.htm

PITA!! When I need a custom hose for a truck project I usually end up at Pep boys or car quest. However if they have already left you parooze their section of cooling hoses and you came up short, you will find they all carry pretty much the same assortment of hoses in the store.

M

meoget

Nov 9, 2014
Keweenaw
Thanks for the links. I will have to call them tomorrow and see what they say. None of the auto parts stores around these parts are very helpful. None of them would let me look at any hoses. Apparently, they know the whole stock of hoses by mental reference; truly amazing!
First, I am going to try to put a long piece on, and then install motor (partially) and see if I can sneak a 90 fitting in there. If it works, great! If not, I'll have to set aside 30+ years of impatience and wait until I can have a hose shipped.
This photo is of the original hose. As you can see, it has some pretty tight 90 degree bends compared to the hoses that I saw on EBay. To be honest, there was hardly enough room for this hose, let alone any hardware and a regular 1" auto hose (the auto hose is a bit thicker than this original piece).

WP_20150201_14_56_26_Raw.jpg

GoHiSK1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
Melfort Saskatchewan
Thanks for the links. I will have to call them tomorrow and see what they say. None of the auto parts stores around these parts are very helpful. None of them would let me look at any hoses. Apparently, they know the whole stock of hoses by mental reference; truly amazing!
First, I am going to try to put a long piece on, and then install motor (partially) and see if I can sneak a 90 fitting in there. If it works, great! If not, I'll have to set aside 30+ years of impatience and wait until I can have a hose shipped.
This photo is of the original hose. As you can see, it has some pretty tight 90 degree bends compared to the hoses that I saw on EBay. To be honest, there was hardly enough room for this hose, let alone any hardware and a regular 1" auto hose (the auto hose is a bit thicker than this original piece).

Have had hose rub through in similar location. I just cut hose in damaged area and installed a short barbed fitting ( cut down to maybe 1.5" ) and hose clamps . Back in action .
Added benefit of having the hose clamp now resting on the area that wore through the hose in the first place.

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
geesh! I need "custom" radiator hoses all the time (I build Ford trucks) I usually take my measurements, old hoses, and a wire hanger bent to the shape I need, then go to the auto store. Usually they will go back to the hose stock w me while we look around for something that will work. Sometimes it takes 2-3 hoses and fittings to make one good run. sometimes I find just what I need and cut to size. I would talk to the manager and explain your situation and see if you are allowed to look around
two small import hoses I would think could be made to work??

M

meoget

Nov 9, 2014
Keweenaw
Thanks for the reply, GoHiSK1. After getting the engine back in place, there is a bit more room for the hose than I thought. I just can't install the hose "assembly" before installing the engine. If I weren't so lazy, it could be running tonight....... maybe.
I know, 410. The conversation usually goes along the lines of, "what kind of car?". "Umm, it's not for a car". "Ohh, well, I wouldn't have anything like that". "I understand, but I just need to find something similar. Mind if I take a look?". "Well, I can't really let you do that". It's kind of funny, but whatever. I think I have it figured out, haha.

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
ask to see all of their universal "flex" cooling hoses They all carry those in the back then you can see the collection.
I guess when you spent alot of time and $$ (customers $$$!!)) in the stores they get to know you! my local Oreillys guys are great!! But I know the type of stiff neck stores you are talking about = sucks

M

meoget

Nov 9, 2014
Keweenaw
I just went with Go's suggestion and installed a barbed fitting where it was damaged. Things are really tight in there now.
Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features