• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cool Carbon fiber hood on SLP sales site for RMK, Cheap

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I just saw this on the SLP site...

Just a "heads up" on a good deal.

Carbon fiber IQ RMK hood.

They also have some smoking deals on pipes and other stuff too...

Stock take off pipe for 800 and 700 CFi with y pipes... great for turbo spares.

IQ-fiber-hood.gif

IQ-hood-rear.gif

http://www.slp.cc/catalog.cfm?pageID=detail&view=description&catalogID=9&catID=63&productID=1148

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Natural Carbon fiber (no paint or gell coat) is much more costly to lay up and is NO stronger....

This looks like an Evans Marine hood... about $900 in natural carbon, $750 in color... Retail prices.

This one is like $290 for the hood... cheaper than a stock unit.

A

Aussie Niko

I've been making molds,surfboards and race car parts using carbon fibre for 20 years and can tell you that its more expensive to lay up a hood with gelcoat and paint as your using more materials.
The natural carbon matting used with epoxy resin is the way to go for strength and look.
Not sure who told you that info?

cheers ,
niko.

Natural Carbon fiber (no paint or gell coat) is much more costly to lay up and is NO stronger....

This looks like an Evans Marine hood... about $900 in natural carbon, $750 in color... Retail prices.

This one is like $290 for the hood... cheaper than a stock unit.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Niko....If you live in Tahoe, look me up this season... we'll get in some riding.

I can see your point... and for a random appearance .... that would be true..

I also agree that epoxy is the only way to go for strength...especially with strong/thin CF layups.

For "presentation grade" CF parts..especially on a complex part like one of these hoods a non-coated part is a much more time consuming process...the layup to get the parts to look right takes more time than something that will get covered.

This would probably be easier if they went with SCRIMP or standard infusion molding as the dry composite can be laid out in less of a rush until the appearance is perfect and then introduce the epoxy.

Spraying an In-Mould Epoxy Gelcoat to the female mould before layup is pretty straightforward and since it is epoxy you don't have he delam problems like you do with an Iso-poly gelcoat or other amine release issues.

Evans Marine... who I think made the hood above does bag-and-bake Epoxy/carbon composites. Give him a call and ask about the cost of "natural" compared to colored .

I've worked in the yacht construction and engineering business for over 22 yrs now...both refit and new construction. I've been around a layup or two myself.

Last edited:
A

Aussie Niko

I hear ya, does depend on the process been used to make them as the carbon is black, air can get trapped under the matt without been seen during the wet out stage leading to bubbles once the part is removed from the master mold.
I use the vac bag method to make sure the parts come out bubble free but everyone uses a different method so I can see price would change.

I've just finished making a yamaha apex custom hood which I'm testing now in OZ.
I'm back in Tahoe around nov 19th and would love to hook up for a ride:)
I'm around the northstar ski resort area working as a ski instructor.

niko.

Premium Features