• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cmx restoration/upgrade

N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
Got her nice and cleaned up!
You might want to revise that can setup. The extra long stinger might cause a big bog
Can you explain more on this? I have a 700rmk and I have a very very long pipe going from my expansion chamber to my muffler/can/silencer. Whatever you want to call it. Its always had a bad bog. But this exact same exhaust set up on a ski doo has zero bog... Im wondering if the polaris engines hate that much extra pipe.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
When you say exact same pipe between a Polaris and a skidoo it has me curious. You aren't trying to use the same pipe on two different brands I wouldn't think.
Either way, a tuned pipes final tuning is in the stinger. It is based on length into the expansion chamber and overall diameter. There were old pipe sets that had adjustable stingers that the end user could fine tune for altitude or temp or fuel or whatever.
When the pipes are made they come tuned. Tuned for a specific make and model. Any change to the stinger length changes the tuning.
With any exhaust, the idea is to get the hot gasses out as fast as possible while retaining the appropriate back pressure. The long stinger probably creates excessive pressure.
I'll end this with, I think

N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
When you say exact same pipe between a Polaris and a skidoo it has me curious. You aren't trying to use the same pipe on two different brands I wouldn't think.
Either way, a tuned pipes final tuning is in the stinger. It is based on length into the expansion chamber and overall diameter. There were old pipe sets that had adjustable stingers that the end user could fine tune for altitude or temp or fuel or whatever.
When the pipes are made they come tuned. Tuned for a specific make and model. Any change to the stinger length changes the tuning.
With any exhaust, the idea is to get the hot gasses out as fast as possible while retaining the appropriate back pressure. The long stinger probably creates excessive pressure.
I'll end this with, I think
Oh I defiantly am trying to use the same pipe on two different brands but thats the only option I have. Its in a snowhawk. Its a non ves 700 with a pipe set up made for a 600ho rotax. Wide open it screams but never had the bottom end response the 600s had. I was think lack of powervalves plus that 3ft of pipe thats ran down to the muffler could be the issue.

U
Jan 24, 2018
So I called and talked to a guy named Jim at alp today about my silencer dilemma. He told me that with what I did here he would be concerned with a loss of power . This is due to the fact that slp tunes the exhaust system through to the end of the silencer. So my setup is not going to hold the back pressure needed. In the end dropping compression and alp wind I burnt fuel to leave the cylinders. Witch makes sense with what I see on the egt . Each exhaust system is brand and model specific.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Great revival! I loved those sleds but always wondered why Mark would keep that big ole dashboard on his sleds when most didn't even have the gauge mounted in them. I love it nonetheless. What are you doing with the old shocks and springs?

U
Jan 24, 2018
Great revival! I loved those sleds but always wondered why Mark would keep that big ole dashboard on his sleds when most didn't even have the gauge mounted in them. I love it nonetheless. What are you doing with the old shocks and springs?
I have no plans of getting rid of any parts as stuff for the m-10 and cmx sleds are getting hard to find.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
They still make the M-10. I’m just tired of the Floats I have. Want some ti springs but RCS wants a fortune. Good on ya for reviving the old girl!

96597303e2d337818bb5c38fd2b44411.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features