• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch question

P
Dec 15, 2018
Ah so the shelves are tight as if trying to engage? So....it probably needs a complete service!! Thanks! I still think its odd that parts that "move " so much get no lubrication? I get the no oily belt thing but my weights have another of surface rust. I took a green 3m to all that the best I could but I should remove it and inspect it all then service it. I'll Google it again lol!! Thanks man that makes more sense now. If it where worse, you'd be trying to turn the track right. Like starting it in gear so to speak? OK a good idea for sure!!!

mightymoko

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Denver Colorado
Ah so the shelves are tight as if trying to engage? So....it probably needs a complete service!! Thanks! I still think its odd that parts that "move " so much get no lubrication? I get the no oily belt thing but my weights have another of surface rust. I took a green 3m to all that the best I could but I should remove it and inspect it all then service it. I'll Google it again lol!! Thanks man that makes more sense now. If it where worse, you'd be trying to turn the track right. Like starting it in gear so to speak? OK a good idea for sure!!!
That's what it sounds like to me. It could be as simple as a broken spring. Or you could need a new clutch. If you pull the front cover off you can inspect the weights and make sure you look at the spider good to make sure it's not cracked

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
Weights should be centered on pins not to one side, check weights for wear/dished out, check rollers for flat spot or doesn't roll smooth, spider for cracks, also check secondary rollers

powderhound1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lake Tapps
So if you think it might be a belt/clutch problem, why not just remove the belt before anything else is done to see if the engine turns over as designed, if it still seems seized then there is probably and engine problem, if it turns over fine then get the clutches serviced by someone who knows what they are doing, make sure center to center bolt measurement is correct, and install the proper belt, engine problem or drive train problem, all of this shouldn't this difficult

P
Dec 15, 2018
SIR YES SIR!! Its only cause I ain't never did no spinny clutch gizmo fore!! If I wasn't so dumb ida thought of dat!! Pure common sense! If its stuck-take off belt-if goes=clutch! If noes goes= engine done went bad!! Genius!! Thanks!!! Next time I'll know!!!

P
Dec 15, 2018
Update and still a mystery to me...I found a pretty large chunk of the ring gear missing? I dunno really. I never heard anything that sounded like ring gear flying around and I didn't ever see the debris so I dunno? I asked the dealer mechanic and he said he thought (?) The engine filled with fuel and did a kinda hydro lock then I engaged starter and it busted it? He said he'd never heard of a bending sticking in ring gear and causing a stuck feeling or a failure like that? How's the hydro lock theory wash?? I dunno? I ordered a new ring gear and can imagine it will suck real bad to take off and the rest of the clutch was fine so....yeah dunno?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Update and still a mystery to me...I found a pretty large chunk of the ring gear missing? I dunno really. I never heard anything that sounded like ring gear flying around and I didn't ever see the debris so I dunno? I asked the dealer mechanic and he said he thought (?) The engine filled with fuel and did a kinda hydro lock then I engaged starter and it busted it? He said he'd never heard of a bending sticking in ring gear and causing a stuck feeling or a failure like that? How's the hydro lock theory wash?? I dunno? I ordered a new ring gear and can imagine it will suck real bad to take off and the rest of the clutch was fine so....yeah dunno?
I was thinking that the cylinder could be filled with gas or coolant. Pulling the spark plugs and spinning over the next time it locks will tell you for sure.

P
Dec 15, 2018
Had know idea that could happen! How would coolant get in!? Cracked cases? And if its electronic efi how would it flood? Not questioning you just curious now. Thanks

P
Dec 15, 2018
Yeah of course bad gasket o ring yeah. Well shoot guess I'm learning anyway and in the grand scheme of things pretty easy to repair. Hope its not coolant that will trash bearings fast. Pulling the head is easy enough I guess or is there a secret snowmobile way to see if its coolant? With my efi car stuff I send the injectors off to a rebuild service. Is that available for these too? Thanks man I appreciate your time and help!

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Yeah of course bad gasket o ring yeah. Well shoot guess I'm learning anyway and in the grand scheme of things pretty easy to repair. Hope its not coolant that will trash bearings fast. Pulling the head is easy enough I guess or is there a secret snowmobile way to see if its coolant? With my efi car stuff I send the injectors off to a rebuild service. Is that available for these too? Thanks man I appreciate your time and help!
Pull the spark plugs and pull it over. If you get a shower you have a problem. If it tastes sweet and makes you sick it's coolant if it kills you it is fuel.

Premium Features