• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch alignment

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Prepping two of friends sleds b4 we head west. Using team alignment bar. Ur sposed to push it tight to outside of outer sheave on driven an then measure the clearance to the inner sheave on the primary. I find it tricky to get in there, and the primary is radiused where ur supposed to measure with a feeler. So i do it in reverse.

I push it tight to inner sheave on primary, tight to the leading edge of the outer sheave on secondary, and then measure the space b/t the bar and the trailing edge of the outer sheave on the secondary. With a little math i figure that space should be about .035 or .040

Both of these sleds have a solid .25" aka a quarter inch! Have u guys seen that? Gotta remove both thick washers behind secondary, and maybe put one skinny one back. Should be close. Just makin sure.... havent seen em this bad b4.

uploadfromtaptalk1424657013856.jpg

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Yep! Can't recall measurements from the SLP tool I use. .25" OFF seems about what mine was as well. Set mine to SLP's specs from day one and have had great luck.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
SHIM CITY

Check out my thread about this with pics @ top of IQ section as IQ's and PRO-RIDE's have same 11.5" center to center & same offset

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177443

I have both the POLARIS bar & SLP bar (pics are in thread)

I suspect you're not using that alignment bar as intended, but I'm not familiar with it.

Is it possible that bar is intended for the older & W-I-D-E-R- TSS-98 secondary ??

You probably have the newer (narrower) TSS-04 (same width as TEAM TIED and P-2)

I doubt your sled is off by that much

Prepping two of friends sleds b4 we head west. Using team alignment bar. Ur sposed to push it tight to outside of outer sheave on driven an then measure the clearance to the inner sheave on the primary. I find it tricky to get in there, and the primary is radiused where ur supposed to measure with a feeler. So i do it in reverse.

I push it tight to inner sheave on primary, tight to the leading edge of the outer sheave on secondary, and then measure the space b/t the bar and the trailing edge of the outer sheave on the secondary. With a little math i figure that space should be about .035 or .040

Both of these sleds have a solid .25" aka a quarter inch! Have u guys seen that? Gotta remove both thick washers behind secondary, and maybe put one skinny one back. Should be close. Just makin sure.... havent seen em this bad b4.

View attachment 250700

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Polaris clutch alignment is horrible. I don't know about the offset but the parallelism is a joke. The engine is cocked to compensate for movement on the motor mounts. Unfortunately, that is not what works in the real world. I'm thinking polaris likes to sell belts at $200 a pop.

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
I just got my SLP alignment bar home and I believe it said in the notes that IQ and Pro-chassis did not have the same distances between tool and secondary. Check SLPs web page, usually they have the instructions for their products there to download.

Edit: http://www.startinglineproducts.com/catalog.cfm?pageID=detail&view=instruction&catalogID=3&catID=24&productID=208

I have not adjusted mine yet but I quickly placed the tool on the primary and you have to fiddle a bit to get it seated properly on the fixed cheave, (due to tight space between chassis and clutch) if its not seated properly you will get strange numbers.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
OFFSETS

I just got my SLP alignment bar home and I believe it said in the notes that IQ and Pro-chassis did not have the same distances between tool and secondary. Check SLPs web page, usually they have the instructions for their products there to download.

Edit: http://www.startinglineproducts.com/catalog.cfm?pageID=detail&view=instruction&catalogID=3&catID=24&productID=208

I have not adjusted mine yet but I quickly placed the tool on the primary and you have to fiddle a bit to get it seated properly on the fixed cheave, (due to tight space between chassis and clutch) if its not seated properly you will get strange numbers.

IQ and PRO do have the same offset and center to center 11.5"

DIFFERENT secondaries (TSS-04, TSS-98, old style button clutch) is what determines the different offsets, NOT the chassis

bryceraisanen

Lifetime Membership
Mar 5, 2011
Check out my thread about this with pics @ top of IQ section as IQ's and PRO-RIDE's have same 11.5" center to center & same offset

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177443

I have both the POLARIS bar & SLP bar (pics are in thread)

I suspect you're not using that alignment bar as intended, but I'm not familiar with it.

Is it possible that bar is intended for the older & W-I-D-E-R- TSS-98 secondary ??

You probably have the newer (narrower) TSS-04 (same width as TEAM TIED and P-2)

I doubt your sled is off by that much
Im absolutely certain i have the correct tool for the job lol. I got em right on nuts for offset. All 3 sleds running cool belt tjis week in WY and CO. one of the operators thinks i snuck a "mod" in there lol. Well only if u count a squeaky clean belt an sheaves (scotchbrite) aligned i guess

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
OFFSET C/C SUMMARY

Seems logical when giving it a second thought =)

As a GENERAL +/- rule;

SAME OFFSET (contingent on secondary used) & CENTER to CENTER 11.5"

APPROX 2001 - 2014 +/- (with a few exceptions)

EDGE's, IQ's, DRAGON's, PRO-RIDES

AXYS 2015/2016 FORWARD

SAME OFFSET

SHORTER C/C

Hope this helps

Premium Features