• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Chaincase stud removal?

J
Nov 19, 2019
I have an '03 MC 900 I'm in the process of replacing the driveshaft bearings and I've run into a couple problems. The chain was toast, so I ordered what is supposed to be the correct chain. I ordered the 15w/72p chain (I ride above 5000 ft). Now I am realizing the chain is too long, and when I look up the correct sprockets, I should have the 43 tooth lower and 19 tooth upper sprocket. The machine currently has a 39t/20t set, which is for below 3000 ft elevation. Would getting the 43t/19t set put that much more tension on the chain? Also, when putting the plate on the driveshaft bearing, I broke off one of the mounting studs inside the chaincase. Is it possible to repair this? Hopefully I haven't wrecked my chaincase. I've done this job two other times without any of these issues, guess I got a lemon this time...

truckyeah

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2019
i would have to double check i belive they are carriage bolts from the back of the housing

J
Nov 19, 2019
I fiddled with it a bit more, they are similar to a carriage bolt, but rather than a square at the back of the shaft, it looks like a gear. I ended up buying a salvage chain case to get the correct gearing and pulled the studs out of that case. It went back together without issue, just need to finish putting the skid in and wait for snow!

truckyeah

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2019
ok nice work im glad im not the only nut who loves these sleds

Premium Features