• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Chain case oil???

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Use same oil in geared transfer cases for Jeeps. ATF or generic chain case oil

Synthetic of course 7 to 20 a quart

Last edited:

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
I had to replace a chain on the hill once on my new Zx. The dag'gum 1/3rd winder closed track + no extroverts from the OEM at that time, and ratcheting was a big problem in heavier snow = blowed chain on new sled. I was not impressed with the looks inside the case at that time. Maybe it was just the nature of the oil that was in it, but it was all black in there.

I prolly splashed some 2stroke oil in the case when I replaced on the hill, but ever since then - I have refilled my cases with way lube, which is kind'a like bar and chain oil, and has sticky properties. Example - if you take and dip your fingers together in either, and then pull them out and spread them apart quickly - you will see a spider web effect. It likes to stick to the chain. And actually - you will see this if you pump the lube hard on your chain saw - you can see it kind'a spider web out from the tip of the saw.

Since then - I am always amazed at how clean and good condition of my chains/case when I open them up.

Now - with that said - I have way-lube by the 55 gal drum, so - I'm not real sure how that would equate to buying at the auto store - other than possibly bar and chain lube.
That may be good enough - IDK.

If I was a lake racer, I might be concerned about the extra drag of the heavier lube, but come on - with 2.5 gear ratios and pickin' through the trees / rocks?

I
Dec 21, 2016
You are absolutely right, very annoying. I just bought the 355ml bottle of oil from Skidoo and did the change on my '19 850 Summit. put it all in and waited for it to show up in the oil level plug hole and...........nothing.............nada, so now go and get some more and see how much more it will take, and yes my sled was sitting level on the shop floor, what a pain in the ass!!!!!

Pour bottle in.
Go ride.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I'd like to save enough so that I can provide food for myself, my 2 wives and my 12 children, and have enough left over for fuel for the 15 family snowmobiles. (I'm kidding of course!)

No.... it's not necessarily about saving money.
It's more so about the availability, the quantity that I can purchase in one container and the ridiculous price on the OEM oil, of which is manufactured by one of the major oil companies, and is then labeled Skidoo!

While I agree that this oil has specific properties, it can't be anything that far out of the ordinary.

IMO, ATF viscosity would be incorrect... (as in too thin).
Synthetic engine oil would appear to be OK.... but what viscosity (i.e., weight)?
Obviously we do not need a detergent oil since there would be no combustion bi-products within the chain case.

IMO, ATF viscosity would be incorrect... (as in too thin) Use synthetic ATF fluid in Jeep transfer cases for 200000 miles. Run it all the sleds with no issue. Had a fan 550 go 12000 miles on ATF still no failure. ATF I see little to no wear what so ever. I did use Penzoil chaincase oil with similar viscosity but cant find it and went back to ATF

Premium Features