• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bulk head joints uneven/tweaked from factory.

S
Nov 29, 2010
brand new 2014 assault SB. I was installing my skid plate and noticed the join between the two bulk head cast pieces is uneven right where it joins the aluminum plate under the motor. Has any one else noticed this? looks like it happened from the assembly line you can see scruffs on the plate and cast pieces where it was mounted during manufacturing.

Notified my dealer they're going to talk to polaris. not sure if I should really worry about it. one side the glue is oozing out the other the gap is big enough its just starting to touch.

IMG_0966.jpg IMG_0967.jpg IMG_0988.jpg IMG_0971.jpg IMG_0991.jpg

A

AK IQ Pilot

Dec 29, 2007
Hard to tell from the pictures but that almost looks impact related. Especially in the second picture. I doesn't look like the scuff marks next to the rivet should have been enough to push up the cast bulkhead like that though.

Good luck, fairly minor IMO.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
I have both pieces apart here in the shop and they will not line up like yours due to the alignment fits cast around the bolt holes that join the two halves. My best guess is the one half was dropped / fell off the conveyor while cooling after they popped it out of the mold, and QC did not catch it in time and was assembled that way. After looking at the pics on the larger screen; the deformation was definitely post assembly as the glue is broken from where that side of the bulkhead originally was, both from side to side and cast to lower floor plate. Possibly when they lifted the sled off the pallet with the fork lift or some other means. That is essentially the balance point of the sled so if the fork was across both bulkhead pieces it would be fine. The scratch by the rivet may be where the sled caught on something and the fork pulled back to the "now bent" up side from the fork tip pressure of 400#'s on a 1" square of thin casting (pop goes the glue). JMO

Last edited:
J

Jimb

Dec 1, 2007
You might want to talk to the forklift driver at the dealership.

S
Nov 29, 2010
If you look at the interior pictures you can see the adhesive pushes out on the riders left cast piece but on riders right looking into the gap you can see the adhesive bead back in there about where the rivet comes through not really squished. I agree it looks like its been hit or pressed on at some point. my dealer is headingly. the service guys are as a rule really good. They said there going to put a not on this sleds file in case of future problems and they are going to talk to polaris.

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
That looks horrible! My 13 is not perfect, but it's a long shot better than that. I would be very upset, and pushing for a replacement sled. I don't think there is a whole lot of room for error on this chassis as far as durability is concerned.
Just my opinion.

Premium Features