• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Building tuff truck-67 GMC “The Thing”

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Building tuff truck-67 GMC “The Thing”

OK so I am the proud owner of what I thought was a 67 gmc truck. I traded a set of wheels for it so if anything I could just harvest the body and make my money back….but that would be no fun!

I own like 5 trucks so I actually have ALMOST everything I need to get this truck ready for some serious off-roading. The truck needs an engine, tranny, transfer case, and drive lines. I have a balanced 350 with race came, dart 2 heads, 750 edelbrock carb, high rise intake and some 1 tone Chevy axle’s out of a 79 chevy work truck.

The only problem is that after looking at the frame closer, the chassis is out of like a 70 something GMC blazer so its realy short wheel base…PURFECT!

So this is what I am thinking

1.Swap cab and front clip with a 69 chevy I have at the house (the cab is missing all the dash parts and is all rusted on the inside

2.Lighten the truck up as much as possible

3.Put my 35x15x12.5 Cooper STT tires on it ( getting 37” swampers and 17” for my truck)

4.get the nicest suspension lift I can find for it (the one that’s on it is obama rigged and wouldn’t hold up to me driving it down my drive way)

5.go to a junkyard and buy a good transfercase and find good drivelines.

6.After I get it driving around, I will start working on building a roll cage and 4 point harness’s

7.Go out and find the week part of the truck, and after it breaks, fix it!

That’s the plan, any ideas? Tidbits? Advice? Knowledge?

Eventually I want to make it into a tuff truck so I can go out and hit small jumps at some of the local events. Ohh and by the way, the truck already has like 3 sponsors for donating parts, and I got like 3 guys who want to help me build it so it should be fun! Ohh and it already has been named THE Thing! :D:beer;

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Parts truck

attachment.php

rtyrtyrty.JPG rtsrt.JPG fghfgjh.JPG rtyrtyrtyrty.JPG

C

catmandoo

Dec 20, 2001
in 67 I bet no one would have thought GM would be tits up but I own a 98 GMC and a 07 Caddi and I can see why they are now...... nice truck though.

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
that blue 2 wheel 1970 job looks alot like my old truck ..wish I hadn't sold that one

Its actualy a 68. I got a new fender for it and then the whole truck gets painted lemans blue :D

does anyone know whats the best transfercase to buy?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

68.JPG trucks.JPG toys.jpg

Last edited:
C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
I want to be able to hit small jumps with this thing and i can't realy figure out a good way to go about it. I know i am going to have to counter weight it (fuel tank at the back of the truck,steel weights) but what should i do with the suspension? Leif springs are not going to cut it, any ideas for a good adjustible coil over shock?

Rancho makes some that look ok but idk if they would cut it?

http://www.offroadunlimited.com/orustore/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=1735

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
With some sick fabing skills, a guy could just take 2 4 link suspensions off of 67-72 2wd chevys and set them up to fit this rig. I need to take some measurements tomorrow!

C

Clarke673

Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Thats what the plan was. Not sure if it will get done in time. When is it this year?

Could you help me out? I am assuming you own one of those fords lol.

Premium Features