• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BPR9ES failing?

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
The ones I've seen come apart were purchased both last season and this season.

I personally run BR9EYA plugs and one of those guy's I mentioned swapped to those as well and neither of us have ever seen those come apart.

With that being said, prior to last season, I'd never seen a BPR9ES come apart either. Very well could have been poor luck and a bad batch.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I personally run BR9EYA plugs and one of those guy's I mentioned swapped to those as well and neither of us have ever seen those come apart.

I switched from the BPR9EIX last season to the BR9EYA plugs. No problems with either plug in my BMP 860 nor any problems with the BP9EYA in my Boondocker boosted 800HO.

P
Nov 20, 2016
foleyet. ontario
Friend of mine brought his to the dealer last week for the fuel rail recall. They put two new plugs in it. Porcelain got all loose yesterday... was moving up and down like the cap was loose... first time I seen one go like that. I was laughing saying I was reading about this yesterday..

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
NGK plugs are now assembled in Thailand. Race plugs are still made in Japan.
There are also fake NGK plugs out there.

http://www.ngk-sparkplugs.jp/english/techinfo/fake/index.html

Well, hopefully none of us are buying plugs from eBay or other questionable sellers. Even Amazon has been combating knock-off merchandise though, so who knows. I'd like to think it's just fakes and that NGK is still making good plugs across the line, but that doesn't seem likely. Regardless, it's disappointing they're cutting costs; I'm sure they're adamant that they've maintained their quality, but I'm a skeptic.

Assuming these are genuine plugs, then way to go NGK. I can think of no better way to destroy your brand than to cause numerous breakdowns, probably resulting in engine damage in some cases, so you can save 50c per plug.

U
May 24, 2016
Park City, Utah
I too have experienced issues with the NGK's on my boosted 800 Axys.
This year, I went "outside the box" and decided to try unconventional spark plug. I have been running Intelligent spark plugs and they live up to what is stated on their website. On a cold start up, it fires on the second pull, remainder of the day, first pull. Even better throttle response and torque on a boosted sled. I was skeptical at first, but thus far I have had no issues and they appear to be living up to there claims.

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
2012 PRO in my riding group went down a cylinder on us yesterday.

Bad history on motors this era, we were thinking it was game over. Swapped plugs, and it ran great. First time for him/us on this one...

Plugs were installed at the start of the season.

Premium Features