• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Beware of SPI black hose fuel filters!!

S

slowfusion

Nov 13, 2008
Sodus Point NY.
If you have a IQ or Fusion, This is a Alert!! Please Share!! Defective Parts being sold!!
Part# SM-07125
These filters have lines that hinge or kink when bent to install causing a lean condition resulting in engine failure!!
2 seasons in a row, 2 different sellers on EBay sent me one of these defective filters through Automatic Distributors of Illinois. Luckily I am a expirienced wrench and spotted the issue before running a machine with one installed. I spotted the kink before it caused a lean condition. Bend the hose to see if it will make the curve needed for installation before installing. If you installed a new filter and had engine failure shortly after, you may want to look to see if this was the culprit.

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
That's exactly why I quit selling that filter assembly, just a touch too long causing it to bend. I've sold lots of the other filters they offer and haven't had any issues so I feel it is isolated to that one filter. Unfortunately, SPI being a Chinese based company and not having crap for dealer representation in the states, the feedback we give them on their parts falls on deaf ears.

One other SPI part to watch for is the Voltage regulator for the Polaris CFI's (4012930), every one of those I've sold, and bought for in house repairs, has been faulty or doesn't last more than a few miles.

I sell a lot of parts, when I find something that has a history of returns or I feel is piss poor quality I will not sell them without the customer being aware of that. People sitting in an apartment building or renting office space somewhere that couldn't tell you the difference between a snowmobile and a cruise ship wont offer that kind of online service.

This is not a problem with the distributor (Automatic), it's an SPI problem and in my opinion that part should be pulled from the shelves and a knowledgeable seller would know that and stop selling it. We can't all test each and every part but we can do our best to stop selling inferior parts with a history of returns and poor quality control.

S
Jan 31, 2015
Denver, Co
I had the same issue! I have 3 rmk 900's and bought three SPI brand fuel filters on ebay thinking I would save a little money, they all had a bad kink in the line after install...now I'm waiting for oem parts to arrive.

I also just recently bought SPI brand throttle/oil cables, they are similar in design to the FBF cables but they are garbage. I had to shorten a length of cable on the oil side to allow the pump to be set correctly. Once I got it set correctly I learned the cable housing is far too stiff and the cable hardly retracts, holding the idle at a steady 3k rpm.

I will never buy anything from SPI again. Also beware the cheaper items on ebay are often not advertised as SPI though sometimes you will receive SPI brand parts.

Long story short, you get what you pay for.

PS, if anyone knows where to get the FBF cables I am in dire need of two of them. His quality is priceless compared to the other brands I have tried.

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
PS, if anyone knows where to get the FBF cables I am in dire need of two of them. His quality is priceless compared to the other brands I have tried.

FBF no longer makes them. You can order one from motion pro and are of good quality. Put those cables in my 900 rmk and Switchback. Still runing the same cable going on 3 years now

Premium Features