• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Bearclawbob from Cooke city

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
By 1 pm today, we had over a foot of snow. It's snowing about an inch an hour. The snowman is still calling for more snow till Saturday.
We rent avy packs and other avalanche equipment. Yes we do fill tanks. We carry Montana and Wyoming snowmobile permits.
Check everyone else and then check out prices. We are the lowest in town.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Yay, he's back! I got off F-book a year ago when it became clear they were more into censorship and getting and keeping people addicted to the platform than anything useful. That said, I know it's not so easy for others who need all the advertising they can get. But this isn't the place to get into that, so I'll shut up about it.

Anyway, the snow is finally starting to show up! I'm planning on riding this weekend, and hopefully will be up your way soon.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
It was mentioned a few pages earlier that he posts more regularly to social media. My side of the Beartooths has seen some good snow in the last two weeks, so it's surprising that Cooke didn't get much. Looking at SNOTEL, it does look like Cooke got significantly less, and going west to the Madison range, you see less yet. The thing with Cooke is, while they have the most reliable snow in the area and often the best riding in a good snow year, it tends to get tracked and worked pretty badly when the snow's lagging. Unfortunately, this year falls more in the lagging category; there is snow in the forecast this weekend though.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
I rode Top of the World yesterday. It was good but not great. Some fresh snow's been falling, 4-6" on average, but between weak Jan/Feb snowfall and a couple warm spells, the base is thin in places and hard crusted. The biggest problem was I parked at Pilot so I could link up with a friend coming from the Cooke side, and the trail over is very thin. Definitely don't plan on crossing between Cooke and Top unless you have to (and that'll be gone if we get another warm week). Also, the play areas on the way up were pretty iffy. It was still worth the trip, and would have been even better if not for pretty flat light all day. Cooke should be similar. Top does have the advantage of being a lot more area, so it's easier to find un-tracked. Pray for snow: Cooke is supposed to get 6-10" this week and the forecast is cooler than average, so it's not time to throw in the towel yet!

Mn_Mtn_Cat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 20, 2008
Wadena, MN
Does anybody have room for a sled that is coming back to MN from Cooke City, Need to get one home? Even to North or South Dakota will help.
Will help with some gas money.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
It's a sad day. I just saw this on Facebook from Bearclaw Bakery (it appears to have been posted April 23, 2022):

"It's time to say Goodbye, but goodbyes are sad and I'd much rather say Hello. Hello to a new adventure".
After 17 years in business, I've decided it's time to turn off the oven and devote more time to enjoying my family and life in general. This summer the bakery will only be open to groups that I have already committed to and will not be open to the public.
It's been fun and I'm going to miss so many of the familiar faces I've come to know over the years, but it's time for new adventures.
Thank you for all of your past support and love.
The Bearclaw Bakery and Staff.

More from Bearclaw Bakery:

Hoping to be open several days a week this winter, along with all of the groups I've committed to. Hope to see you then. Bob is still going to be around for all of your snowmobiling needs.

We hope to be open, on a very limited basis this winter, and will keep everyone updated on our plans. Thank you for your past patronage and kind words.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
We spent the day in Yellowstone yesterday
Have NEVER seen SO MUCH WATER ever before.
We were heading to Cooke City, and Bailed at Gardner.
FLOODING EVERYWHERE from West to Gardner.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
All the creeks and rivers from Yellowstone to Billings have been breaking their all time record flow numbers by over DOUBLE today. It's a mess to say the least. Gardner residents are legitimately cut off right now...highway north is destroyed in multiple spots.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Some new vid since yesterday here, if you're following this.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
With Mammoth cut off from the north (89) and east (Grand Loop and 212) indefinitely, and at least through the short summer, CC will only be accessible via 212 and 296, and we all know what happens when the snow starts - there may need to be an alternative route kept open to CC this winter. Looking at the damage, unless they lay some temporary road on private land, 89 isn't going to happen soon - engineering assessments alone will take months unless they bring USACE. As stated above, Gardiner is completely cutoff, outside of the airport.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
With Mammoth cut off from the north (89) and east (Grand Loop and 212) indefinitely, and at least through the short summer, CC will only be accessible via 212 and 296, and we all know what happens when the snow starts - there may need to be an alternative route kept open to CC this winter. Looking at the damage, unless they lay some temporary road on private land, 89 isn't going to happen soon - engineering assessments alone will take months unless they bring USACE. As stated above, Gardiner is completely cutoff, outside of the airport.
Funny how things can be tangled up in red tape, or go so fast it's make yehr head spin.

Hwy 17 @ Wawa, Ontario. Rains came through, and likely took out a beaver dam (?) and then it worshed the highway out. About 50' deep I think? Took out a motel.

Crews were on sight the next day.
The hwy was closed for aboot a week.

Could just as easily been a 2 year deal...

1655306397215.png

Premium Features