• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BD Apex down for count.....need advice!!!!

D

doo-ski

Nov 27, 2007
www.yellowNytro.com
I recently traded my TM8 for a Tapex. Bottom line is I did verify that the dealer that built the motor did indeed put pistons and carillo rods in it. The turbo kit is a BD 25 kit that has been run at about 12-15 lbs of boost. Long story short I broke a rod and the valve hammered the piston. My question is why does this happen?

L
Nov 26, 2007
Did the rod actually break (shear) or did the bearing cap fail?

Tensile failure, or compressive?

What RPM are you running the sled at?

Can you describe what the situation was (how was the sled being ridden)when the rod failed? Include gauge readings & octane as well if you can.

Can you post some pictures of the failed components?

D

doo-ski

Nov 27, 2007
www.yellowNytro.com
sled

I am guessing the rod actuall broke, but did not want to break down any further as I wanted the builer to look at. The sled was just running about 12.2 when it went and was about 700o rpm just dropped cylinders and making a hell of a racket. I will try to post pics. I was just wondering about what would cause this. only has 1900 miles on it at 15 lbs of boost.

L
Nov 26, 2007
I am guessing the rod actuall broke, but did not want to break down any further as I wanted the builer to look at. The sled was just running about 12.2 when it went and was about 700o rpm just dropped cylinders and making a hell of a racket. I will try to post pics. I was just wondering about what would cause this. only has 1900 miles on it at 15 lbs of boost.

Wiseco pistons?

L
Nov 26, 2007
I will ask the well known builder tomorrow.

Reason I ask is that until ~2 years ago Wiseco had a pretty notorious problem with failing wrist pins; they've since improved this part. Depending on when this motor was built (and date of manufacture for the pistons) this could be your problem - you have all the symptoms.

J
Nov 27, 2007
failure

not sure of the maintenace on the sled you have but I know of a few bd that have failed do to oil breakdown. I run good oil and change it at 4-500mile intervals. It seems if you run the oil over 1000 they just give up. Wont help you at this point but is something to keep in mind. julio

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
not sure of the maintenace on the sled you have but I know of a few bd that have failed do to oil breakdown. I run good oil and change it at 4-500mile intervals. It seems if you run the oil over 1000 they just give up. Wont help you at this point but is something to keep in mind. julio

You problems were most likely caused by detonation,maybe not from your doing but from the guy before you.Most likely by poor fuel,pushing the limits with boost ect..Im not sure if you will ever really know at this point. I really dont know what Julio is saying here?? Almost all turbo kits lube there turbos from the engine oil itself and not a separate sump. So if you impling its a BD problem ill disagree.. Hopefully you dont have to much damage in there,GOOD LUCK:beer;

R
Jan 4, 2004
I think Julio is just saying change your freakin oil frequently.. And use good oil to boot, and good fuel.. I lost my BD Turbo do to oil too..

Tony

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
I had about 5 miles on a oil change, I am just going to take it in to get fixed. I was trying to prevent a repeat:(

hmm this may be the problem,for some reason some sleds have been known not to prime after a complete oil change i alway unhooked my oil line to the turbo to make sure oil was moving through the system then had a quick look in the tank.when i lost a rod bearing last year it was the drain screw backed out enough that the pump lost prime.

S
Nov 26, 2007
spring creek, nv.
rod failure is usually caused due to tetonation poor fuel for the motor set up, if it was a oil supply problem you should beable to see signs of that every where. at those boost levels the rod did not fail on its own, stock rods will handle 18+ lbs easily on the right fuel.

Premium Features